Remember me
Lost Password Register

Apostle Islands
07-12-2004, 06:58 PM,
Apostle Islands
Hi, I'll be in northern wis the last weekend of this month and would like to dive some wrecks in the Apostle Islands. Is anyone going that weekend or does anyone know any dive shops or dive charters local to the area? Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   DeltaClearAK.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.31 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-12-2004, 07:14 PM,
Re:Apostle Islands
I'm not aware of any shops or charters in the area. But you might be able to call the park service and find out. The area does have a couple shallow wrecks. You can also find sandstone caves. Check out this website:

--Jason
08-10-2004, 06:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-10-2004, 06:44 PM by WIdiver_Paul.)
The Wisconsin Historical Society just completed wreck surveys last week as an addition to the Maritime Trails program, for which I participated in. See the day to day results and keep checking back for more details (and the focus, mosaic photos of the complete layout).

go to:

.jpg_thumb   Finn_McCool.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.17 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-10-2004, 11:29 PM,
Paul. Cool site. You are lucky to be a participant and we are fortunate to have you onboard. I'm going to spend some time reading through that site.

The Apostle Islands are relatively close to me. Did you hear anything about charters available in the area?
--Jason
08-11-2004, 10:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2004, 10:20 AM by WIdiver_Paul.)
Sorry, didn't notice any charters operating regularly or any brochures, etc. but did hear of one which may be out of the dive shop in Ashland:

Harbor Outfitters
Ashland, WI
(715) 682-9505
Fax: (715) 682-5255

I do know some of the op's around here would do it (trailering the boat): I'm sure Dean would and I know this one would over an extended weekend:

Points North Diving LLC

Thanks for the compliment, I feel honored to be given the opportunity to give back both to the diving community of Wisconsin and non-divers and children alike. We need to get them interested so we can keep having dive buddies! It's good to know that when they're interested in the conservation it will all be there as long as the sands of Lake Superior don't erase their traces.

Paul Lothary

PS Word has it that another wreck has recently been discovered in deeper water, 180 feet, I'll give you more details when I have them. It may be the Prussia, sunk 10 miles off of Sand Island point!

PPS here's one that will end up on the postcards at the maritime museums! Tami Thomsen photo:

.jpg_thumb   Lucerne_windlass.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.68 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-11-2004, 02:10 PM,
Hi All
I would love to run a trip to the Islands. But..i sold the small boat and now only have the Slipped Trojan out of Milaukee harbor. Call Keith at Points North as per Pauls telephone number. He would probably make the trip if he could sell some spots on two days. He is a 6 pack charter. Also Superior Wreckreation of Superior Divers in Duluth runs trips there as well. I dont know his schedule but he has two boats available. 1st is a 28ft Carver..6pack and 2nd is a 60ft Tug( it should be done) Jay is a master captain so if he runs the tug, he will take a few divers.
If you have any problems getting it together let me know..I might be able to help

Deano
08-11-2004, 04:00 PM,
When I was up there we trailered our own boat. I also kayaked and camped for a few days and saw the majority of the wrecks that way- they aren't very deep. Most of them stick up out of the water at some point, or you can at least touch them while paddeling over them.

The deeper ones, if you can call them that, are the Sevona, at 25', and the Pretoria, at 48'. The Pretoria isn't too much to look at, so I would just freedive them, or, better yet, rent a kayak and paddle over them.

There was a shop in Ashland and another one, that wasn't open, in Bayfield. I remember seeing a charter boat there, along with a pretty nice Zodiac that they also took people out on, but don't remember seeing anyone up there.

There have been rumors of deeper wrecks up there for a long time, and there are some much deeper wrecks just to the west of there, but no numbers have been given out to the public- so far those are state kept secrets.

Jon