Remember me
Lost Password Register

Black and White Photography
07-14-2004, 02:21 PM,
Re:Black and White Photography
First post from Doug is Lake Wazee. I'm not sure about Doug's second post, and Scuberts are all from Isle Royal and the names of the wrecks are in the posts.
07-14-2004, 10:35 PM,
My second post is the wreck of the Fleetwing, just off shore of Door County near the town of Gill's Rock.

Noticed I used a female model on this dive. I know that you guys like to see Jason in my pictures, especially with his old Rueben (pink? purple? whatever) colored dry suit. Thought you would like the change of pace.

Doug
07-15-2004, 12:26 AM,
thank you. As Chris already said, they are all from Isle Royale in Lake Superior. Unfortunately when we went up (Aug) there was a fair bit of stuff in the water, so we didn't have the fabled Lake Superior vis that you always hear about. >Sad
07-16-2004, 07:54 AM,
Great, thanks for the info. I was a bit unfamiliar with Isle Royale, but after doing some research it really looks like a great place.

I want to research some of the wrecks. What are some of the depths that you have dove there? Is this a good place to go for a novice diver?

Thanks again,
Jeff
07-16-2004, 08:50 AM,
Chris Kohl's book "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" is an invaluable resource for local diving. I highly recommend it.

As for Isle Royale and new divers, I would say probably not the best place. You would be better served diving in the Milwaukee area (or others along lk MI) for a season or two to build up a little experience. Most of the wrecks in Isle Royale start fairly shallow but go to the edge of, or well beyond recreational ranges.

The other factor is that you are 30+ miles from anything, and a 2+ hour helicopter ride from the nearest chamber, should anything bad happen.

Milwaukee has lots of wrecks in the recreational range, and has a chamber in town that is capable of handling just about anything. We are also a much closer drive for most folks than Isle Royale, and have more options in terms of charters.

A few good local wrecks to log some bottom time on for newer divers:
Lumberman,
Dredge 906,
Gillen Tug,
Prinz Willem V
Also, I think every local diver should make the climb at Atwater beach once to do the Appomatox.

just my $.02
07-16-2004, 09:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-16-2004, 09:12 AM by jasondbaker.)
Jeff, I would also spend a season or two doing some of the north shore dives (Madeira, Hesper), Munising, Whitefish, before trying to tackle Isle Royale. Make sure you have good cold water gear and solid drysuit skills first. You really want to be able to enjoy the trip.
--Jason
07-16-2004, 10:06 AM,
As long as your making the climb to dive the Appomatox, you might as well hit the Josaphine on the way back in so you can dive two wrecks at once.

Jon
07-16-2004, 11:36 AM,
Thanks for all the great input on Isle Royale. I will keep it in mind once I have gained experience.

Didn't mean to get off the black&white photography discussion. Sorry.

-Jeff
07-16-2004, 04:23 PM,
For getting started it is hard to beat Munising. It will give you a taste for wreck diving and it is easy diving in a nice bay.

Here is a picture of the Bermuda, which is an intact wreck in shallow water.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Bermuda_Wreck_Woodwork_-_38_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 29.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-16-2004, 04:29 PM,
Or maybe it is better in Black and White. You be the judge.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Bermuda_Wreck_Woodwork_-_38_-_BW_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 15.54 KB / Downloads: 0)