Remember me
Lost Password Register

UP Diving Recommendations
06-21-2004, 09:07 PM,
UP Diving Recommendations
I'm staying in Green Bay this weekend. I'm toying with the idea of driving up to Munising or Whitefish Point for some diving next week. I have the whole week off. Anyone have any recommendations for charters or camping in those areas? Thanks
--Jason
06-21-2004, 09:51 PM,
Re:UP Diving Recommendations
Munising is a blast!

For charters, we've always used this guy:

A good captain and a good boat. This time of year he may not be running charters too frequently. Last year we were there this time of year (a year ago today, to be exact) and we ended up having to put the buoys on the wrecks we visited. The selvick, smith moore and bermuda are always good. (We took our own boat last year).

We've always stayed here:

Not the greatest campsite as far as forestation goes, but the view from the tent sites lying directly on the shore of Superior can't be beat. It makes up for any other nature the campground may be lacking. I'd highly recommend it.

For some surface interval fun, go to Miners Beach - the east side of, underneath Miners Castle. There are some fun sea caves you can snorkel in and go through (they are not entirely submerged - the waves push you through them and are VERY cool). My girlfriend and I also had a lot of fun just diving the rock walls, looking for coins that people had thrown in the water.

For Whitefish Point, we stayed here last year, and will do so again this year:

A BEAUTIFUL campground - heavily forested and a river running right past our site. Very nice place...and it's absolutely huge. The falls are cool to go see too. The nice thing about Whitefish is you are done diving by 1:00PM and can go do other things during the rest of the day.

For diving, we used . This guy was AWESOME. One of the best boat captain's I've ever met. We are really looking forward to diving with him again.

We did the Vienna - 120-145' of water, a beautiful wreck, one of my favorites. Still has a lifeboat on the deck. Also did the Sadie Thompson, and overturned barge, and the Panther, which is a very busted up wreck but neat to go through the wreckage.

Anyway...that's my take on the two areas Smile
06-22-2004, 11:20 AM,
Thanks for the info! I'm having a heck of a time finding charters for next week. I've got a week to spend on charters in the great lakes but nobody to take me. Sad Now I'm starting to look at airfare.
--Jason
06-22-2004, 11:30 AM,
Heck, in munising you could dive most of the wrecks from an inflatable boat with a 15 horse on it. The wrecks are all pretty close to each other. And the Bermuda and the Hettler can even be seen from the surface!

This charter might work too:

06-22-2004, 03:40 PM,
Munising also has a neat little shore diveon an old pier. you can see the columns still sticking out of the water behind the highschool. Park in the highschool parking lot suit up ..and start wading in...head towards the columns......there a bit to see its pretty shallow, but a fun night dive.
06-22-2004, 03:46 PM,
I forgot about that - here's a little writeup I did on that as well.