Remember me
Lost Password Register

Door County wreck Moorings!
07-05-2006, 04:39 AM,
Door County wreck Moorings!
Hey all divers,
Just had to post a e-mail that was sent to me as to many of Door county's  wrecks go un buoyed that were buoyed and on the WHS and Wisconsin Maritime trails, hope we don't loose this great feature!
The Ocean Wave and Frank O do have Moorings but the Bay side wrecks don't,
This is a e-mail from Jim at the Shore Line resort.
Brad
Hello Divers,

Today is July 1st and sad to say buoys are not on the Carrington, Meridian, and Pilot Island.  I am not sure about the Roen Barge, Ocean Wave, Daniel Lyons, Lakeland or others.  With us out of the dive business the buoy program in Door County and north seems to be coming to an end.  I know some divers have mentioned it is easier for them to just tie a line and jug on a wreck and leave it, that way no one is under pressure in the fall to go out and get the buoys.  That is nice of divers to do that as that is costing them some line but does not address the safety or preservation aspect of the wreck site. 

If I have the time I would not mind putting some buoys out but due to my construction project here and some other problems I have not been able to get out.  I do not expect any divers to want to take on this program due to the time and cost.  When we were doing it would take us several days and many tankfulls of gas (100s of gallons) to accomplish this every spring and fall.  As we were running to these wrecks we did not mind as it made our job easier running charters and provided more safety for the divers. 

I just thought I would throw this out there.  Perhaps between the State, clubs, shops, dive boats, Ghost Ships foundation and divers something can get worked out.  I hate to see this program fall apart after all the work that has gone into it.  Any ideas anyone?

Safe Diving,

Jim Robinson

07-06-2006, 05:19 AM,
Re: Door County wreck Moorings!
I am not sure of the others, but the Lakeland is buoyed very nicely. Our first dives on her this year were at the end of May, and it was in place at that time.
09-19-2006, 03:28 PM,
On Monday, September 25, I will be removing the Fleetwing buoys for the winter, if weather allows.

DEW >&ltWink)>
09-23-2006, 08:31 AM,
Arrgh!  It looks like we are in for a blow on Monday. Sad 
DEW >&ltWink)>
09-26-2006, 06:06 AM,
Weather was great!!  Water temp was cold first getting in but fine once I got going.  Had to go solo as both my snorkeling partners canceled.  Viz was runnin 40-50' and no real waves. Big Grin  One of the buoys was missing and the rope looked rather freshly cut and not frayed. >Sad  Wish I could have stayed down for the full cylinder, but that wasn't the dive plan. (grab buoys and surface)  Had one fat wallmount size bass following me around like a dive buddy.
DEW >&ltWink)>
05-28-2007, 07:57 PM,
Fleetwing buoys are installed! Big Grin
DEW >&ltWink)>