Remember me
Lost Password Register

Camera failures - what's your story?
06-29-2004, 10:14 AM,
Re:Camera failures - what's your story?
First time I flooded a camera was in Devil's lake. I thought it was pretty ironic that it flooded in 20' of water since it is rated to 165' and I have had it down to 220' without a problem on many occasions, but that's what you get when you don't double check your O-ring while diving off of a kayak.

Next time I flooded one was down in Cabo San Lucas. We were getting bounced around really bad on a trip out to El Gordo Seamount when we finally had to turn around and dive one of the more local spots. I got down to 90' and realized that the thing was flooded and must had gotten a good jolt- even though I had it in my lap the whole time. So much for roughing it in a 22' Panga.

Strobes are a constant problem. The cables are notorious for shorting out. I have had many a dive go bust because I got down to depth and couldn't get a strobe, or strobes, to fire. Last time it happened was on the Grace. I tried shooting with my HID light, but it wans't enough for the poor light conditions that I had- sometimes it is on shallower dives with faster film. These wire cables are the number one thing that other photographer friends of mine complain about. They cost a lot of money to replace and they seem to fall apart as soon as they get wet- oh well. :-[

Another interesting thing that we finally got around was lens fog.

While camping up at Whitefish we would load our cameras in the morning and go out and dive before the wind kicked up. Once we got down on the wrecks our cameras would be totally fogged, but by time we got to our first deco stop, about 25 minutes later, they would be clear allowing us to take lots of exciting pictures at deco. Wink

We finally solved this by hanging our cameras overboard while we geared up. Since it took us about 25 minute to set anchors, hook up the 02 hooka system, zip into our suits and gear up, we were fine once we rolled into the water. This little trick saved a lot of shots in the future.

I am pleased to say that I have had no problems with my digital cameras so far- but realize that I hve just jinxed myslef with that statement. Wink

Jon

Messages In This Thread
Camera failures - what's your story? - by scubert - 06-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Re:Camera failures - what's your story? - by FreediveWI - 06-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Re:Camera failures - what's your story? - by Omicron - 06-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Re:Camera failures - what's your story? - by Omicron - 07-01-2004, 05:35 AM