Remember me
Lost Password Register

Camera failures - what's your story?
06-29-2004, 09:32 AM,
Camera failures - what's your story?
As a VERY amateur photgrapher with a few dive trips under my belt, I've experienced two camera failures within 3 trips. One (my first) was a leaky o-ring resulting in a whole camera flood, which was costly, but at least my media card and pix survived ( I think that is the sign of someone who has the UW photo illness bad, you are more worried about the pix than the camera). My second camera failure happend last week in Bonaire, my camera developed write-to issues and I lost a total of 2 days worth of pix including Salt Pier and the Hilma Hooker.
It stopped recording a day later (luckily just after my nite dive at Town Pier) and I ended up diving the next two days without a camera. I now probably need to send it to Olympus again for repairs... >Sad

So, what are some of your camera stories?
06-29-2004, 10:14 AM,
Re:Camera failures - what's your story?
First time I flooded a camera was in Devil's lake. I thought it was pretty ironic that it flooded in 20' of water since it is rated to 165' and I have had it down to 220' without a problem on many occasions, but that's what you get when you don't double check your O-ring while diving off of a kayak.

Next time I flooded one was down in Cabo San Lucas. We were getting bounced around really bad on a trip out to El Gordo Seamount when we finally had to turn around and dive one of the more local spots. I got down to 90' and realized that the thing was flooded and must had gotten a good jolt- even though I had it in my lap the whole time. So much for roughing it in a 22' Panga.

Strobes are a constant problem. The cables are notorious for shorting out. I have had many a dive go bust because I got down to depth and couldn't get a strobe, or strobes, to fire. Last time it happened was on the Grace. I tried shooting with my HID light, but it wans't enough for the poor light conditions that I had- sometimes it is on shallower dives with faster film. These wire cables are the number one thing that other photographer friends of mine complain about. They cost a lot of money to replace and they seem to fall apart as soon as they get wet- oh well. :-[

Another interesting thing that we finally got around was lens fog.

While camping up at Whitefish we would load our cameras in the morning and go out and dive before the wind kicked up. Once we got down on the wrecks our cameras would be totally fogged, but by time we got to our first deco stop, about 25 minutes later, they would be clear allowing us to take lots of exciting pictures at deco. Wink

We finally solved this by hanging our cameras overboard while we geared up. Since it took us about 25 minute to set anchors, hook up the 02 hooka system, zip into our suits and gear up, we were fine once we rolled into the water. This little trick saved a lot of shots in the future.

I am pleased to say that I have had no problems with my digital cameras so far- but realize that I hve just jinxed myslef with that statement. Wink

Jon
06-29-2004, 01:39 PM,
I'd be afraid to carry any electronics that expensive underwater.

My canister light makes me nervous enough Smile
06-30-2004, 07:46 AM,
none yet. Tis brand new and God now I hope it doesn't leak.

06-30-2004, 04:40 PM,
I have avoided the camera flood issue. Do a lot of maintenance and checking of o-rings. I use a digital camera and have found that it is absolutely important to open the camera up-side-down so that no residual water gets in.

Sea and Sea says that 25% of the camera failures they see accured on the surface and most of these are water getting in when opening the camera.

This is the only problem that I have experienced.

Doug
06-30-2004, 05:12 PM,
WHt Doug says it the first thing you teach all begining underwater photohgraphers- always open your camera upside down so you don't drip water off of your body into the guts of it. It's amazing how much money that simple little statement can save.

I would also add that while you want to grease your 0-rings, you don't want to go overboard with the stuff.

I have heard that some people were having issues with their Olympus digital housings cracking and flooding at 80', but have heard others have taken there's to 250'+ without much of a problem. Proper maintainence cna make a huge difference. When on a dive trip I go through my cameras everynight. It takes a bit of time, but ends up saving you money in the long run- plus you get to offgas a little longer before you have that first beer. Wink

Having someone hand you your camera once your in the water, as opposed to jumping off the boat with it in your hands also can make a big difference.

Jon
06-30-2004, 10:10 PM,
Jon is exactly right about checking the camera over every night and getting it ready for the next day. It is this attention to detail that helps to avoid camera floods. I do this every time on a dive trip.

Having the camera handed to you is also important. It can be a challenge on some boats but worth the effort.

It takes longer to get set-up to dive with a camera, but your friends will love the pictures.

Doug
07-01-2004, 05:35 AM,
Yes, we do ;D