Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite...
05-21-2006, 10:53 PM,
Re: Red Granite...
Glad to get the firsthand report.  That kind of viz makes me wish that there was some way to suck and filter that crap out.

Looks like Puddie and I will be setting the compass course this comming Saturday.  Could use a few course testers to make sure the headings are correct.  Hope viz holds up.
DEW >&ltWink)>
05-22-2006, 08:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2006, 08:49 PM by Dewit2it.)
Stopped in again today.  Caught a pic of the muskie on my dry off hike in roughly the same area as when he grabbed that bass.  He's kinda hard to see in the pic.  Look for him silouetted on the rock.  The pic shows around half of him.  All I could get before he bolted.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   muskie1.JPG_thumb (Size: 25.94 KB / Downloads: 0)
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-19-2006, 11:05 PM,
I made my first dive here this last weekend.  Viz was...okaaaay...10-15 feet until we got to around 45 feet, then it clouded up and I didn't get below 57 ft.  I enjoyed seeing a lot of the things I've seen talked about here, and taking a look at some of the miners, even though I didn't really do the course.  I moved a beer can that was about 5 ft away from one of them a lil closer so he could have something to drink Wink.  We did 2 dives, and with the halfway decent viz, it was really nice.  I'll be going back at least once more this summer.
07-14-2006, 02:58 PM,
We're thinking about heading out here this weekend, but we've never been to Red Granite Quarry before.  Can anyone give me some tips on where to go for some fun dives here?  Sounds like there's all kinds of stuff all over the place, but with no map and never having been here, I wouldn't know where to start!  Thanks!
The only good diver is a wet diver.
07-14-2006, 05:40 PM,
I am looking at taking a non-cert and kids out snorkeling/SASY there Sat.  I'm planning to be there around 9 AM.  I like to go in at the old pickel factory.  Take the street by the brown bank building.  There is a gravel lot that will be on your left.  Pull in up to the dumpster.  I'll be the dark blue mecury.  Try to get there early as with this weather, it will fill up fast with kids. 

Check the compass course thread for a rough map.  The first area runs 15-20'.  The second shelf runs 25-30'  Further out it drops to around 35' and then real deep.  I wish someone would post a good map of the whole quarry.

If I see you there, I'll have fish food along.
DEW >&ltWink)>
07-14-2006, 08:07 PM,
Oh, that sounds like fun!  I'm going to teach my son how to snorkel this weekend, he's 15, wants to try Discover Scuba, figured getting him into fins, mask and snorkel first would be a good place to start.  We're looking at Sunday for Red Granite, we have a house warming party we have to go to tomorrow night and we'd wimp out on it after a long drive and a day of diving.    We're probably going to brave Lannon tomorrow just to get wet. lol
07-16-2006, 07:11 PM,
Dove Redgranite today with my son (my newest dive partner) and found the visibility to 8' or less.  Place was jammed with kids jumping off the rocks.  The statue in the pictures further up the thread has been broken and only the base remains.  That was the only identifiable thing that we saw besides a few tree branches and of course the granite walls.
Thermocline was at 21 feet.

Chris
07-16-2006, 07:20 PM,

Hubby and I were out there too.  Taught my son how to snorkel and took a short dive.  We got out late around, 2ish.  Wasn't too crowded on the north side, but we didn't see anything except for some submerged dead tree's.  8ft sounds about right though.  I was letting my son use my socks and my boots are a little too loose, so when we hit the thermocline my feet almost froze off. heh  Wasn't expecting that, so stayed rather shallow until we can go back out again and I can use my socks in my boots.  Brrr. 
07-21-2006, 11:24 AM,
How deep were you divng? 

Any idea how the vis was around 100'?

I have some freedivers who want to do a little training and don't feel like driving all the way up to Wazee every weekend to do it- although the vis at 100' in Wazee last weekend was a lot less than it used to be. :'(

Jon
07-21-2006, 12:16 PM,
Well, I was letting my son use my skin and socks which I usually wear under my suit and boots, so when we hit the thermocline at 40 ft I was freezing to death, so we stayed up in the warmer water.  I think the deepest we got was around 50ft, I think it was clearing up some down there, but I was so cold I wasn't paying attention very much. Sad  It was about 8ft-ish around 20-25.