Remember me
Lost Password Register

DiveYAK - Recommendations
06-20-2004, 08:16 AM,
DiveYAK - Recommendations
Ok, the weeds have set upon the Madison lakes.

Which makes diving from shore much like wading through a jungle to get out to at least a little of true (grin) open water diving, albeit green but open at least.

So instead of sloshing through this I am considering one of these throw together dive platforms. Which I wouldn't need a trailer of slip for and could just keep in the truck...

So to the group anyone try these, heard or had any experiences with them?
06-20-2004, 01:01 PM,
Re:DiveYAK - Recommendations
They are probably okay for a small inland lake. They don't track very well. One of the local dive shops here rents them.

Check out this website:

--Jason
06-20-2004, 01:18 PM,
Wes,

Look through some of the old threads on his board. I have already posted a bunch of pictures and some sotries about them.

Gert, Deep Blue, sells and rents them out if you want to try one before you buy. He owns a couple of Ocean Kayaks himself. My buddy, Ted, has a tandem O.K. boat and I have an O.K. as well as a Futura surfski.

Surfskis are the fastest, but a normal divekayak will be much easier to use. Just stay away for the blow up ones- they are more of a pool toy than anything else.

Deep Blue should also be offering Speacialty course in Dive Kayaking sometime this summer if your interested.

Jon
06-28-2004, 07:15 AM,
I didn't find any threads but I am now considering buying, an
SVX2020.

12'10"LOA x 3'10"BEAM 2 Person Capacity inflatable to be able to carry around in the car. Propelled by a double-bladed paddle, it is a very stabile and responsive and can take a 3 1/2 hp motor.

Any thought anyone?

06-28-2004, 08:03 AM,
I own both the Frenzy as well as the Scupper Pro. The Frenzy is only 9 feet long, so it would definitely fit in the back of your truck, I carry mine in my S10 pretty easily. It might be a bit small for scuba, for that I may lean toward the Scrambler which is just over 11 feet long and gives more room for gear and you!!!

We have both boats available at the store for rental and just looking, so you could make up your own mind. Just call ahead, I typically have the Frenzy in my garage, waiting for a good day to take it onto the lake and do some surfing.

Here is a link to Ocean Kayak and a list of all of their boats.

I think that you would be hard pressed to find a better all around boat from a toughness and versatility standpoint. It is true, they give up a bit in the performance department to get this, but in my experience, it is a very good tradeoff.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at the store at 414-964-3483 and ask for either myself or Kahlil, our store manager.
06-28-2004, 08:11 AM,
Gert also has a Scrambler for rent at his store, the blue one in the rental area.

It's a great boat that can be stacked and holds lots of gear. It is also great in the surf and comes in at a decent price. It's light enough for one person to carry- which anything that can hold an outboard may be too heavy. I find the Scrambler to be the perfect compromise between the Frenzy and the Scupper Pro.

Jon