Remember me
Lost Password Register

Big lake Charter Diving
06-16-2004, 03:08 PM,
Big lake Charter Diving
Hello All,
I was hoping to get some of your input on why people are not big lake charter diving this year. I have talked with several charter owners on the two Big Ponds, and all have mentioned that charters are very very slow this year. It may be a lack of funds, a lack of time, or maybe people are gun shy as we have not had the best weather. What are your thoughts?

Be well dive safe
Deano
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM,
Re:Big lake Charter Diving
Dean,
If I didn't have my stupid job, and somebody was paying me more to not do my job than I'm currently paid to do it, I'd be on a charter boat every day. I've actually been on more local charters already this year than in years past. The visibility hasn't been great with all of the rain, but it is still diving.

Chris
06-16-2004, 05:59 PM,
The only thing Jerry and I have figured out is that everyone night be a little gun-shy from all of the sewage that was recently dumped into Lake Michigan. It doesn't help buisness when the biggest newspaper in the state runs pictures of the sewage line in the water.

As for me, I've been enjoying some of the best vis I've ever seen in my local lakes. Last night's water temp was 72 degrees down to 25' and the vis was really nice anywhere below 6'. I saw more sturgeon, catfish, northern, and drum than ever before. A couple of the guys even found a 15 hp outboard motor on our way back to dock. ;D

Maybe I'll get out to the big pond in July, after our lakes green up for the rest of the summer.

Jon
06-16-2004, 07:05 PM,
Its really a shame if that is the reason..Its such a non issueViz has not been the best that we have seen, but once you get past 5 ft...you k now under the turd layer...things are fine..You will need a good light as the sun is not penetrating that turd layer....really gang..i am just kidding..its really a non issue...get out and dive
Deano
06-17-2004, 05:06 AM,
For me the weather has cut down on my diving. This has been the windiest year I can recall as well as the rainiest. Low viz isn't a big deal, I was diving in the seventies and eighties when it was the norm. But 20+ knot winds have been common and with that you get big ole waves. Tough going when your running an eighteen footer.
My business has also been very busy this year. At least theres some green around, but not much time to con it from the Mrs.

Jim
06-17-2004, 07:10 AM,
I promise you, its plenty roughin a 28footer as well. there is not doubt that the weather has not been cooperating, this is why I am so suprised that when we do have excellent weather that nobody is out on the boats. I am much the advovate for "better safe than sorry" so i certainly understand that....

Happy Diving
06-17-2004, 11:46 AM,
I've got two charter trips planned for myself this year - that seems to be my average...my first year diving I did four or five, but that really murdered my pocketbook!!!
06-17-2004, 07:17 PM,
one major problem (at least for me) is that if there EVER is a nice day, you have to run like hell to get all of your yard work done that you have been unable to do for the prior 2 weeks because it's been too wet.
stupid yard! >Sad
06-17-2004, 08:51 PM,
I have conned my wife into doing the yard work. Wink
06-18-2004, 04:44 AM,
Perfect Smile