Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anyone up for a Challenge
06-12-2004, 10:07 AM,
Anyone up for a Challenge
Does anyone know if there is an effort of any kind to get wrecks to the Wisconsin Area. I.E. Lake Michigan or Lake Superior. I'm aware of Chicago having one last year.

If Dick Long is coming to Wazee next weekend He would be a good person to Brain storm with and maybe get a ball rolling. But I dont know if the area has enough support to do something like this. I think the Chicago one was a touch and go thing the whole process.

K
06-12-2004, 11:32 AM,
Re:Anyone up for a Challenge
One of the Green Bay clubs was working on one for a while. I am not sure if they ever got it approved- or if that was the one they finally sunk down in Illinois. ???

There are so many natural wrecks in Michigan that it would hardly seem worthwhile.

Too bad we can't get one sunk in Lannon quarry or Devil's Lake- that would at least make them interesting places to dive. Wink

Jon
06-12-2004, 01:35 PM,
Getting a wreck in lake michigan..probably not going to happen...I also think it wouldnt be worth it. We have so many right now. More are found each year near Milwaukee..Thanks to Jon's Father in law Jerry Guyer
Most of them may not be deep, and not as large as wrecks like the Willie or the Milwaukee, but they are interesting just the same....Regarding Lannon....There have been attempts each year to get the Waukesha County Parks and Rec Department to allow us to put something in Lannon. It is constantly shot down. A friend and I have mulled over the thoughts of getting a petition going to allow us to put a school bus in 50 ft. It would be a great training aid for local search and recovery teams as well as for local divers in general.. I also think it would work as a fish crib....We'll see if we get any where..

Deano
06-13-2004, 10:08 AM,
Jon, the wreck you are talking about is "THE STRAITS OF MACKINAC". It was initially a project of Neptunes Nimrods scuba club from Green Bay. Due to the sale of dock property the project was taken over by a Chicago scuba club, the wreck was cleaned and sank in 2003. Here are a couple of websites with more info and pictures. It sounds like a great dive.

It is my understanding that the Navy has 24 decommissioned ships that it plans on turning into artificial reefs. It sounds like they are already plan on sinking the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany near Pensacola Florida.

It would be pretty cool to dive a Navy battleship sunk in Lake Michigan.

06-14-2004, 09:13 AM,
ALGOMA, Wisconsin (20 Apr 2004) -- The president of a scuba diving club that sought to sink a retired Chicago Fire Department tugboat in Lake Michigan near Algoma, has confirmed that the April 10 removal of the tug from the Algoma harbor coincided with the club no longer pursuing the sinking project.

Full article:
06-14-2004, 06:29 PM,
Anybody wanting a School Bus to place as a wreck, please contact me, I have available a 40' Thomas School bus that would be perfect Wink

Paul Lothary
920-723-3031