Remember me
Lost Password Register

Flynn quarry
06-11-2004, 08:28 PM,
Flynn quarry
Dove Flynn quarry last week with Bob Laus, owner of Precision Sports in Oshkosh. His shop has leased the Quarry in an attempt to keep it from being closed. Enjoyable dive. Visibility in any of the quarries can vary so much, but we lucked out. I was impressed with what Precision Sports has done. the place was a lot cleaner and access, once through the gate, is more convenient than in years past. instead of the hassle of lugging everything from the road, you can unload at a pleasant picnic table! He is really working at making the place a good dive experience . His enthusiasm is infectious. I hope he doesn't get discouraged at all the obstacles and can fulfill his dream of having another decent dive spot for area divers. He's having difficulties limiting his liability and keeping access open to all divers. I've changed my mind and now think Flynn's could offer a diving experience as good as Red Granite. It's certainly a beautiful place for the family to enjoy while you get to dive. Call Precision Sports and see what you think. It would be nice to have an alternative to Red Granite when the classes have their check out dives. :)
06-13-2004, 08:11 PM,
Re:Flynn quarry
That's good to hear - from what you say, it sounds pretty nice. It would be good to have a new site where you could get a little depth and not see the same stuff over and over again.
10-24-2004, 07:38 PM,
Did a dive in Flynn's Quarry on Saturday. This was good dive and visibility above 40 feet was great. Below 40 feet everything went cloudy.

Here is a view from the put in spot that is now being used.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Flynns_Quarry_-_4_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-24-2004, 07:40 PM,
Here is my dive buddy Jon while he is setting up.

.jpg_thumb   Jon_-_3_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 44.95 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-24-2004, 07:44 PM,
THere is a school bus in the quarry now. This makes a nice swim through and is a fun addition. It is just past the old truck which you are all familiar with.

Here is the rear entrance.

.jpg_thumb   School_Bus_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.24 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-24-2004, 07:53 PM,
The keys are in the ignition, lets take it for a spin!

.jpg_thumb   School_Bus_-_6_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.13 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-24-2004, 07:56 PM,
Here is Jon. This gives you an idea of what you see below 40 feet.

.jpg_thumb   Jon_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.11 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-24-2004, 08:03 PM,
Here is some of the old smashed cars. There were a fair amount of fish in the quarry. Also, the freshwater Jellyfish were out, about the size of a dime. Say about 3 of them. Could not get a picture for love or money.

.jpg_thumb   Old_Cars_-_3_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 37.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
10-24-2004, 08:05 PM,
It was great diving and great visibility. I have been in Flynn's Quarry several times and this was the best. The place is looking up, hope to dive again.

Doug

.jpg_thumb   Jon_-_8_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 32.19 KB / Downloads: 0)