Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dehydration & Diving
06-10-2004, 08:10 AM,
Dehydration & Diving
WHEN YOU'RE PREPARING FOR A DIVE, you're probably more concerned about your equipment and your dive plan than making sure you've been drinking enough water.

In fact, many drysuit divers and those who dive from boats actively avoid drinking fluids before diving, for fear of needing a pee!

Unfortunately, this is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Article:
06-10-2004, 09:21 AM,
Re:Dehydration & Diving
I'm always drinking water when I dive, specifically because of this.

Of course, I'm doing a dance to get out of my suit after a dive half the time, but at least I'm hydrated Smile

I really, really need to get a P-Valve. Jason Baker said he had some info on some cheap quality ones...I wonder if he could post the link?
06-10-2004, 09:54 AM,
Before a deep scuba dive it is not uncommon for me to consume close to a gallon before I dive. A P-valve is just standard gear. A general rule of thumb for deep diving is to have everyone urinate right before the dive. If it's not clear, you don't dive.

In scuba you can get bent by not being hydrated, no big news there, and in freediving you are at greater risk of shallow water blackout if not properly hydrated.

Kirk Krack, senior trimix instructor trainer for IANTD and freediving trainer of champions, used to recall his deep dives in Cayman, to depths of 500', by the number of times he urinated underwater rather than by the amount of time he deco-ed. ;D

Jon
06-10-2004, 09:59 AM,
This thread reminds me of a funny story my instr. told me about one of her students giving the "I have to go bad, RIGHT NOW" signal during the cave course, then quickly zipped out of his hooded drysuit, scrambled out into the bushes for a time, then came back to the group of divers, standing around milling over the highlights of the dive. Soon all noticed a noxious fecal odor wafting around until one of them pointed out that the anxious sh*tter had forgotten to pull his hood up through his legs when he was squatting!!!!

I'm curious if he ever really got the smell out....
06-10-2004, 10:49 AM,

06-10-2004, 09:16 PM,
My hunting buddies can relate similar experiences in the woods. Nasty.

I do believe that a pee valve should be standard as I am a real believer in being hydrated for diving.

Those warm water guys have got it made.

Doug
06-11-2004, 04:46 AM,
I dunno doug. That one time on the Blackbeard's trip, I had to to take a leak so bad I could barely swim.

I had to go before the dive. I ended up not, and so then started a 60+ minute diving already having to pee pretty bad.

I tried, so many times, to pee in my wetsut during the last 20 minutes of that dive. I couldn't. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I foresee that mental block coming at me in regards to these p-valves too. I can't see myself easily "letting go" inside of my drysuit.
06-11-2004, 05:33 AM,
That was my experience as well the first time I attempted to use my p-valve. Once I let it rip for the first time though the mental barrier was broke and it was easy after that...LOL! Wink
06-11-2004, 07:58 AM,
That, and I've heard quite the round of stories about how sticky those condom catheters are. I don't like sticky things in that area!! ;D
06-12-2004, 09:40 AM,
There's always Depends.