Remember me
Lost Password Register

New Poseidon Regs
05-26-2004, 01:31 PM,
New Poseidon Regs
Anyone have any experience with the new Poseidon regs, namely the Duration or Deep. I already have enough feedback on the past models like the Odin and the Cyclon 5000, so no need to comment on those, please.

Thanks.
05-26-2004, 01:58 PM,
Re:New Poseidon Regs
I had the Xstream Dive. It breathed fine. Great in fact if you like the way a Poseidon breathes.

It uses the same special hose as the Odin. The cover can be removed without tools, but it isn't the easiest to replace after it has been removed. The purge button is in a weird spot and I didn't feel the bubbles were exhausted far enough away from my ear. When it was turned off under water (valve drills) and then turned back on it needed to be closely monitored or I think it would have free flowed. It didn't fail, that initial burst of air that Poseidons do just doesn't make for a friendly deco reg. This also became an issue trying to fill a lift bag. I need to work on that anyway, but this just added to the stress. Although I haven't tried it, I suspect the same would happen had I used it on a deco bottle with it pressurized and turned off until needed. The last thing I need to worry about on a gas switch is loosing a bunch of deco gas.

I never had any problems when I had the reg in my mouth, but when it was out that was a different story. I had the reg on about 50 dives including a 34 degree 45 minute dive on the Willie in February. None of the ice chunks like the Odin occasionally gives either.

FWIW I just switched to Scubapro Mk25AF/G250HPs and I like them so far. I've only had them on the Milwaukee and the Willie, and I'll be on the Willie again tonight but they seem fine so far. There were a few additional comments in one of the other posts on this board about regulators. I think. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
06-01-2004, 05:42 PM,
I have a X-stream Dive which is similar to the Duration and the Deep.

I have had this regulator in 32 deg F Wolf River conditions swimming hard against the current with no problems. I wish I could have swam as well as that 6 foot long sturgeon I was following.

I have had it deep and got plenty of air. I have had to share air in the deep. Two guys drawing air hard in 41 deg F water and deep. This regulator delivered.

Do not get the ice chunks of the Odin.

The mouth peice is a lot nicer than the Odin, I do not even notice it being there.

I like this regulator a lot. Most importantly, it has worked for me in some harsh conditions and it has always come through.

I am now ready to take my abuse for my beliefs.

Doug
06-01-2004, 07:43 PM,
Doug,
I don't think you'll get any abuse, mine just wasn't doing what I needed it to do without making my life difficult. I still have the Odin though.
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM,
I would agree Chris. You are looking to do a different type of diving than what I do.

But there are some that have strong negative opinions about Posiden equipment.

I guess we will see what they say.

Doug
06-02-2004, 09:38 AM,

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I heard FreediveWI's computer is broken. He is probably quivering in a corner from internet withdrawl as we speak ;D
06-04-2004, 12:30 PM,
Be careful what you wish for, if he hears that we are talking about Spair Airs AND Poseidens, he might just find a library with an internet connection Wink

By the way, from what I hear, he still has his keyboard, and he is just sitting there typing and looking at a blank screen, how sad.......
06-04-2004, 04:07 PM,
Jon, Jon, Jon,
I feel for you as you are pulling your teeth out without a computer....for a man of such computer savvy....well, i would assume its like being gagged....

With that being said...........I LOVE MY POSEIDONS

now i will RUN...I would imagine that computer wont be off line too long
06-04-2004, 05:55 PM,
Hehe. I'll second that motion Smile

Ever since I got my first Poseidon, I've been in love!!
06-04-2004, 06:15 PM,
Thanks for all the input. Now I need to know why everyone is against Poseidons, and what is meant by the "upstream valve" and why is everyone so dead set against it. When I took my first class, we talked about regulator free flows. In the Poseidon literature, they talk about the fact that even if the reg frezzes open, it will still deliver air, and the "extra" will vent out through the hose. Opinions?