Remember me
Lost Password Register

First dive
04-06-2003, 09:23 PM,
Re:First dive
Matt,

Most of the wrecks stay bouyed year round nowadays. Some of the bouys stay on better than others. Somtimes ice takes them off and other times fisherman cut them. I have put more bouys on wrecks over the years than I can even count.

I can tell you that the Willy almost always has one good mooring on it, midship, and one light-weight one on it, stern. The Dredge #6 also as a mooring line on it, but the top gets cut off quite a bit. It is not a big deal to send a crew memeber down to tie one if needed. The Milwaukee has a variety of moorings on it. Usually one on the bow, one stern, and a midship one that changes all the time.

The Gillan tug seems to always loose her mooring. I think that it must be in a prime fishing spot. Wink

The Bond has one on it and I am not sure about the Norland.

Jerry didn't mention any missing when he was here last night. He usaully makes a run out the day before a charter to make sure and put one on if needed. He likes to make sure things run smoothly when customers hit the boat.

He also mentioned that people were freeflowing like crazy on the last Milwaukee charter. It sounds like a lot of divers need to get the gear in and have their regs de-tuned if they want to dive out there in the winter time.

Lake Michigan in the winter can get much colder than plain old ice diving. You need to be ready for it.

Have fun,

Jon
04-06-2003, 09:28 PM,
Well I made a few trips to Devils lake last year. ( is where i got certified) nice lake to dive and see Bass. vis was good when i was there...and in sept the LDS throws a big lake cleaning party wich tons of people come for..burgers brats its a good time.. Ill drive the 2 hours to go this year again.
Besides that its fun to go to devils lake, camp (if you can get a reservation) dive for a bit .. run into wisconsin dells and enjoy the recreation there..lots of stuff to do in the area

Brian
04-07-2003, 05:57 PM,
Chris, Lannon quarry actually had pretty good vis. Didn't see much except for a big frog wedged into a crack and a few crayfish. Still, it felt good to get out.
Jon, thanks for the info. Once in a while I feel like calling Jerry or Tom for info, but don't because I feel guilty about using their info, but not diving off their boat......I know they don't mind, but it still doesn't feel right.
Matt