Lost Password Register

Lake Mendota - Habitat
05-12-2004, 07:23 AM,
Lake Mendota - Habitat
Vis was outstanding yesterday at 5ish, the best
I have seen yet.....

Was about 20+ feet. Could see the entire habitat
from top to bottom in single glance.

ps. Stake in the lales is coming up this weekend.
05-13-2004, 03:03 PM,
Re:Lake Mendota - Habitat
We got out freediving on the habitat last night. Vis was around 25' above 40' and closer to 35' below 40'. The rain has taken it's toll, as vis was 35' on Monday morning- but has been dropping ever since.

Water was 52 degrees, which meant that I finally got to break in my new 3mm suit! Big Grin Spent a little over 2 hours in hte wter without a chill. ;D

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   mono_habitat.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.57 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-13-2004, 03:07 PM,
We started out spearfishing by the University and didn't go over to the habitat until about 7:00pm. That means the photos are all a little dark, the rain storm didn't help light things up much either. Sad

Going around noon, on a sunny day, would have really improved things quite a bit. Still, knowing what this lake will look like come July I can't complain at all.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   habitat1.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.07 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-14-2004, 06:31 PM,
I really want to check this out one of these years....seems like a really neat piece to see, just to see it.
05-21-2004, 07:44 AM,
The rain is really starting to takeit's toll on the lakes. WHat was 35' of vis last week Monday was down to around 10' last night.

We first went o ut to "deep Hole" in Mendota, which is really only 80'. Vis at the bottom was less than 3'. Sad Of course it was 6:30 pm by time we got out htere and the bottom in that artea is all silt, but we still had a hard time seeing our drop wieght on our freedivng line when we were at the bottom.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ted_decends.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-21-2004, 07:46 AM,
After about 45 mins in thew deep hole we moved over to the habitat to see if thigs where any better. Vis was less than 10' for the first 25' or so. Once you got below about 35' it cleared up to around 15'-20', and hten went back to crap again below about 65'.

Here's Ted playing around at the top of the habit.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ted_habi2.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
05-21-2004, 07:49 AM,
At least the temps are warming up- 61 degrees at the surface and llow 50's at the bottom. Warm enough to spend a couple of hours in the water in just my 3mm- which means I only need to wear a 4# belt. Big Grin

Jon

.jpg_thumb   ted_acent.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.9 KB / Downloads: 0)