Remember me
Lost Password Register

camping and diving
04-16-2004, 03:45 PM,
camping and diving
we are planning on some dive camping trips this summer and was wondering were everyone else has gone. whats the best? devils? wazee? how about stuff up towards door county? something within 4 to 5 hours of milwaukee would be good. thanks...
04-16-2004, 05:36 PM,
Re:camping and diving
I usually camp a couple times a summer at Wazee. You should arrive as early as possible on a Friday to get a spot for the weekend. The campground at Wazee is small but decent.

I have never camped up in Door County but there are plenty of bed & breakfast type places to stay at. My folks have a condo in Sturgeon Bay so I dive up there every Summer.

--Jason
04-16-2004, 08:50 PM,
Like to camp at Lake Wazee during the summer. Easy to dive and town is 5 miles away.

Munising Tourest Park makes for a nice campsite and then do some diving on the Shipwreck Charter. You can also have a lot of fun at Pictured Rocks National Seashore.

There is some good camping in St. Ignace and then dive the straits.

There are plenty of lakes in northern Wisconsin where you can dive and there are also plenty of campsites.

Doug
04-16-2004, 09:16 PM,
I've camped with my local dive club at Devils lake. I would consider doing that one. We Also camped just outside of Baileys Harbor and dove the Frank O'conner. That was late october or november. Colder then you know what, but we had a blast. My last wet suit dive incedently. Door county has a boat load of good shore diving and would lend itself well to a camp/dive adventure. About four hours from Milwaukee, tops. If you happen to stop in at Green bay Scuba they have a shore diving guide that covers Door county. It will set you back a couple of bucks, but its really worth it. I called them up and for five bucks american they sent me a copy.
Have fun

Jim
04-17-2004, 05:22 AM,
Thanks for that. I've been wanting to shore dive Door County but was waiting for one of the LDS to offer a trip. Now I can make other plans.
04-17-2004, 10:24 AM,
thanks for the replys! i am planning on camping at least once this summer/spring at wazee. but, door county is were i really wanted to go. i will give green bay scuba a call and see if i can get a shore diving book as well. thanks agine..

carrie
04-18-2004, 06:23 AM,
Green Bay Scuba's Map is quite good. I used it last summer to plan a couple of nice dives. There are a lot of shore dive locations in Door County. On one of the dives we found 3 fishing poles and an anchor.

Enjoy the trip.

Doug
04-18-2004, 05:23 PM,
I've done a couple of the shore dives listed on the map. The quarry outside of Sturgeon Bay was nice. The remains of two wrecks are close to shore. I was amazed at the number of fish that school in that area. I saw bucket loads of fishing lures strewn across the bottom.

The "Fleetwing" is also a nice relaxing short dive. That is further up the peninsula.
--Jason