Remember me
Lost Password Register

west point dive park?
04-16-2004, 03:43 PM,
west point dive park?
anyone know were west point dive park is? waukesha area dive club web site shows some pics of it, but no location or web page for it. thanks...

carrie
04-16-2004, 04:11 PM,
Re:west point dive park?
West Point Dive Park is currently leased by Mountain Bay in Appleton. It is located very close to Redgranite, between Redgranite and Flynn's Quarry on the same road. I think it is Hwy N (not sure) There is a sign.
04-16-2004, 04:21 PM,
I'm still thinking but if you do a mapquest search for Lohrville, I think the quarry you're looking for is pictured off hwy N really close to Lohrville. Someone let me know if I'm on the mark.
04-16-2004, 08:53 PM,
That is the place. It is less than a half mill north of Flynn's Quarry. There is 2 quarries here.

These and Flynn's are catch as catch can. Conditions vary a lot.

Doug
04-17-2004, 10:25 AM,
so, has anyone dove this place? viz? how does it rate next to red granite?
04-18-2004, 06:33 AM,
I have taken 4 dives in Flynn's Quarry. Visibility was good (20 feet) to terrible (5 feet) during these dives. On one dive my buddy and I swam past the submerged truck without recognizing it. After the dive we talked with others and realized that the tire we had seen was attached to a truck. Just could not see enough to put it all together.

These visibilities are for above 40 feet depth. Below 40 feet I have not been there when you could see past the end of your hand.

There is a lot of junk in this quarry. It is like they used it for the town dump. I know of 1 stolen bike and 1 stolen car that have been recovered in this quarry.

I believe that there are times when this quarry is as good as Red Granite for visibility. I have not been lucky enough to hit it at the right time.

The fresh water jellyfish are neat in October.

Doug
04-18-2004, 06:41 AM,
Ooops, I answered this question for Flynn's Quarry instead of west point. There must be an excuse for this mistake, it is not like I wasn't paying attention.

Hmmm, yes it was.

I have not been in west point, but all indications and discussions that I have had with divers that have been there are that the visibility is similar to Flynn's Quarry.

Doug
04-18-2004, 09:03 AM,
I would say if you are going to make a significant trip to the Red Granite area for a single day, stick with Red Granite Quarry. If you plan on coming up for a weekend give Flynn's and/or West Point a try and see what you think. Usually if Flynn's is crap, West Point will be too. You can always head over to Pearl Lake for a really nice night dive. Lots of fish. Flanagans Pearl Lake Campground is there too. I hear it is a pretty nice campground. Follow "E" North off of Hwy 21 to "EE". Stop in at the bar and ask if you can dive from the beach. They are usually very friendly and have no problem with divers.

04-18-2004, 11:31 AM,
Pearl Lake is one of my favortite dive sites as it has good visibility when all of the other lakes have gone green. Plenty of fish to see and stuff to salvage. THe bar is neat too.

Doug
10-24-2004, 08:24 PM,
Went diving in West Point Quarry on Saturday (10/23/2004). This was my first time in this quarry. The visibility was great in this quarry. The freshwater jellyfish were all over the place, still dime size. I remeber seeing them in Red Granite the size of a quarter. Took a nice swim to the sunken cruiser.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Cabin_Cruiser_-_1_-_Enhanced_-_e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.52 KB / Downloads: 0)