Remember me
Lost Password Register

Griffin?
12-21-2011, 09:00 AM,
Griffin?
If it is the real thing, whats your position on excavating the site?  Do they bring it up and preserve it in a museum or let it continue to rot at the bottom?  My opinion, since this is such a historical wreck, not to mention old, they should preserve this one as long as it stays over here!  One can argue that there are many historical wrecks out there that could be in a museum, and this could open up a can of worms litigation wise, but I'd hate to see this one get uncovered and destroyed by the elements or worse yet careless divers!

Mixed feelings on this one, being a diver I would love to dive it, but would ultimately like to see this preserved for generations to enjoy.

my $.02 and hopefully a kick start to a slow site >Big Grin
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM,
Re: Griffin?
The two words that come to mind are "Alvin Clark"
12-21-2011, 05:44 PM,

The Alvin Clark was successfully raised but the problem was restoration.  I don't think there was ever consideration to the extent of cost and/or logistics involved in properly conserving the ship.  The recovery was still an impressive venture in itself.

If this IS the Griffin, it WILL get enough attention and support to properly conserve the ship.  I highly doubt that it would remain in situ, especially if it is already covered with silt/sand/mud.  From what I have read, this has been in the courts since 2002 and all parties (State of MI, France and the discovery group) have already "negotiated" the details of what will happen should it be found to be the Griffin.  It sounded like it would stay in Michigan.  My guess would be NOAA -Thunder Bay Maritime Heritage Center if it is raised.
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM,
Where did they find her?

With the zebras, I'd raise her.  It'll cost like crazy to preserve her though, but it will keep the pirates at bay.
DEW >&ltWink)>
12-22-2011, 09:40 PM,