Remember me
Lost Password Register

Saturday
07-13-2011, 07:18 PM,
Saturday
Anybody feel like diving Saturday? Someplace local (within a couple hours drive of Milwaukee).

Matt
I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM,
Re: Saturday
I'm picking up a new HP 100 and need to do some newbie dives, re-weighting for trim.  Permanently switching from aluminum and haven't dove steel in quite some time. Would like to go diving this weekend.

Kolby
07-14-2011, 05:43 PM,
Give me a call. 414.803.0488

Where were you thinking of going?

Matt
07-14-2011, 08:55 PM,
Thanks Matt, plans changed to Sunday from Saturday.  Looking at Lannon Quarry around 8:30a, meeting another local dive buddy from divebuddy.com

Kolby/Mark
Cell/SMS 4-1-4 2 3 2 - 9 7 9 2
07-15-2011, 04:47 AM,
Sunday at Lannon Quarry? What's your planned max depth? How many dives are you doing?

Matt
07-15-2011, 03:41 PM,
Planning on two dives, if the vis is crappy, may call the second dive. I've never been there, my research on the Internet says max depth is 55ft for the quarry.

Kolby
07-16-2011, 06:14 AM,
I dove it once in August a few years ago - the viz was in the 5 foot range.  What I remember most though was how bad the water smelled - almost like sulfur...yuk.
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM,
Just got back from Lannon Quarry. My advice: never, ever go there. If you do, it should be a matter of life and death. We got in and found visibility as follows: 0-10 ft was 5-10 ft vis; 10-25 ft was 2-3 ft vis; 25+ vis was ZERO! I could not read my gauges. I had to hold gauge on mask and try to somehow shine light on face of gauge. I temporarily blinded myself, not that it mattered anyways. I hit 45 ft max, and it was darker than a midnight dive on a winter night. It was as if I descended into a cloud of tar. Temp was comfy, and after several surface swims trying to find better vis, we settled on kicking around in 5-15 ft near the entrance. There is a rope near the entry point that leads to some miner cars, so we hung out at the rope, practicing skills for nearly 1500 psi. It was the only good part of the dive (being able to practice mask removal, reg swaps, bouyancy, etc). The park ranger did mention that Underwater Connection was coming by on a more regular basis, trying to clean up the quarry and improve conditions to use if for OW training dives. Although this was my first, and most likely last, time there I would say that any change in the conditions would be for the better. Good luck to Underwater Connection, they have their work cut out for them.

Matt
07-16-2011, 04:19 PM,
Matt put it quite well. At least the water didn't smell like sulfur, bonus.  It was an experience, nice to get wet and work on some skills.  Still going to drop more weight to get the steel tuned in.  Dropped 6lbs but will drop another 2lb (8lbs from Alm to Steel -HP100).  Good luck to UW Connection, I will check back in 2-3 years to see the improvement, research before diving.  Were we practiced skills was probably the start of their good work.

Mark