Remember me
Lost Password Register

valves
07-02-2011, 08:19 AM,
valves
A fella I dive with was telling me that he took the springs out of the valve knobs on his twinset to make them less resistant to turning in the event that a shutdown is necessary. Anyone else heard of this? Is it a pretty common practice? I did dive his set of twins and practiced shutdown drills, and I will agree that they are considerably easier to crank, especially if you aren't getting a full grip on the knob, but rather a finger or two.

Matt
I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
07-02-2011, 08:37 AM,
Re: valves
Never heard of that!  If your doing anything over head I would think a bit of tension is a good thing!  Are you comming to Fortune tomorrow with the other Matt?
07-02-2011, 12:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011, 05:07 PM by matt t..)
I've never heard of that and would probably say it's not a good idea. The spring tension is needed to keep tension on the stem and valve knob, and to keep the end of the stem and plug/seat from getting damaged when you open/close the valve by keeping them in position. If you properly clean and lube your valves at service time they should be pretty smooth.

07-03-2011, 06:43 PM,
Glad I asked.

Jeff- I just got back into town. Matt, Todd and I made pretty good time round-trip. Great day of diving with killer viz. Too bad you couldn't make it, but I heard you were out on the big pond. Sounds like fun.

Matt
07-03-2011, 07:49 PM,
Oh I just could not pass on a flat calm day on the lakeland!  Dove it with out a problemthat was a great tune up for me!
Glad you guys had a good time
07-03-2011, 08:29 PM,
I would suspect that we'll be up again in the coming weeks. Maybe we'll meet up then.

Matt