Remember me
Lost Password Register

Caps
05-29-2011, 04:57 PM,
Caps
With the recent addition of h-valves and stage bottle, I now have more DIN valves than I have plugs. I do have a couple of delrin tank valve plugs, which work quite well, but buying another 5 @$10.00 per seems a little excessive.

Do you guys recommend plugging the valves while sitting in the basement between dives, or just putting tape/ rubber boots over the openings?

Matt
I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
05-29-2011, 05:33 PM,
Re: Caps
I wouldn't bother doing anything while they're in the basement. Nothing can get in the tank with the valve closed, especially if the tank has pressure. If you have any doubts and something may have gotten into the valve opening, open the valve for a quick blast and call it good. On another another note, you may want to look into some SS valve plugs for travel. I plug all of my valves when on the road, due to possible gas loss. It sucks to get to a dive site and find out you only have 700 psi of 18/45 in the 3500 psi doubles you just payed $100 to fill (it happened to me 1 time). It's pretty easy for a truck or trailer full of tanks to shift and a valve knob to rub on something causing it to open just enough that you can't hear it. The SS plugs will also keep the valve opening round if a valve gets dropped or tanks shift during travel. Delrin or plastic plugs are dangerous when they are on a fully pressurized valve and can explode and cause shrapnel. I saw it one time and threw 5-6 away. I won't use them on my gear. Spend a little extra and get the stainless steel.
05-29-2011, 07:07 PM,
Re: Caps
Yeah....what Matt said.  No worries about storing them without the plug.  Transporting them is a different story.  Keeping the valve round is a big deal.  If your not careful, a bent valve can ruin your day.  They are a worthwhile expense.