Remember me
Lost Password Register

Local Diving or Not
05-17-2011, 03:33 PM,
Local Diving or Not
Total hip replacement on Friday :'(.  I guess this means I won't be diving locally or anywhere else for that matter for a while.  Everyone, keep sharing you local diving stories, conditions, etc, and I'll be back under water as soon as I can (probably 8+ weeks Sad)
05-17-2011, 06:10 PM,
Re: Local Diving or Not
Good luck with your new hip. I hear the surgery and rehabilitation can be a painful experience. I would contact DAN for advice before getting back into diving.
05-17-2011, 07:15 PM,
Thanks, I'll be careful.
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM,
In case anyone is interested, my surgery went quite well.  I walk mostly with just a cane right now, but can walk without it, but still with a limp.  I won't see the  surgeon until early July, and hope to dive with his permission soon after that, although I suspect he might tell me to wait until a full three months after the surgery, which would mean mid August.  It seems to me that bearing the weight at the surface and perhaps getting one of my fins on will be my biggest challenges, so with a little help, it shouldn't be too long.  Of course, climbing up on a boat or difficult shore accesses would also make things difficult. Anyway, I will be careful, but certainly miss the diving.  Oh, and I took the opportunity to send my drysuit  in for new seals as long as they not only needed it, and I have the time to wait for its return. 

Later,

Mike
06-15-2011, 08:51 PM,
Mike,
Glad your surgery went well.  Sounds like it might be a good time to get a scooter so you don't stress that hip. >Big Grin
06-16-2011, 04:19 PM,
Thanks Chris,

I have used a scooter only once and thought it fun.  My worries for my hip are on land, not under water.  I'll mention the extra SCUBA expense to my wife and see if she jumps at itpp Wink
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM,
It's easier to get forgiven than permission.
06-28-2011, 08:39 PM,
Wish you well on your hip!

My 86 year old father is just getting out of rehab for his.
DEW >&ltWink)>
06-29-2011, 02:35 AM,
Thanks.  Well, this 58 year old should be fine.
06-30-2011, 08:44 PM,
well mike this 74 year old still has all his parts and I wish you the best of luck. Had my annual phy. this morning and Doc said keep doing what your doing.