Remember me
Lost Password Register

New innovation: "The Razor Side Mount System"
05-08-2011, 02:23 PM,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Razor Harness 2
The BAT Wing
The T Weight system
The Expandable Pouch

Regards Michal
05-08-2011, 03:23 PM,
Re: New innovation: "The Razor Side Mount System"
Michal,
Do you use a Razor harness?
05-08-2011, 06:10 PM,

Hi Chris,  I use "razor clone" Hydrologic dive system. (just dry suit & harnes & steel tanks) works perfekt for meSmile
I did SM course with Richard Dreher NACD. My harnes is His projekt. Now looking for Bat wing jus for more safety.
Regards Michal
05-30-2011, 10:13 PM,
Saw this and had to post...

The Razor is an excellent sidemount system.  It is a highly engineered version of a harness that has been in use for 20+ years.  It is very easy to make one yourself.

I've attached a photo of the harness in use in OW and a photo of the parts used to build it.  The only items I couldn't source at a dive shop were the 2 inch square and triangle pieces.  I bought a piece of stainless rod and had a family member tack them together with a welder.

I used a 6L MSR Dromedary bag with hydration kit for buoyancy - it was WAY overkill.  I could have used a 4L.  Buoyancy was super easy and I know I could have handled a stage bottle w/ no problems and most likely two.  I HARDLY used the buoyancy bag.

I dove this in open saltwater and freshwater cave.  Was easily able to attach primary + 2 backup lights, primary/safety/jump reels, line markers, etc.  This has all the same d-rings as a standard BP/Wing combo.

Sidemount kicks a** all around and this is another awesome way to dive and an even better way to get in and out of boats/ramps/etc.  Some of the manufactured harnesses (Nomad etc) are very nice and streamlined but this thing is like diving with nothing on.  I mostly dive CCR now but will not dive anything but sidemount open circuit - it is just way too convenient, way too easy and the safety factor rocks.

I'm curious about using this with a single AL80 sometime, ala "Monkey Diving".  It would be a super light way to travel to warm destinations.

Sorry to ressurect old post - I'm passionate about sidemount and this harness is great, couldn't resist sticking my nose in.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Razor.jpg (Size: 39.16 KB / Downloads: 77)
.jpg   19947_1338959081554_1458474116_942437_1517463_n.jpg (Size: 54.04 KB / Downloads: 69)
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water.  The lucky ones make frequent return visits.
05-31-2011, 10:00 AM,
I haven't looked at Steve Bogaerts' web site in awhile but it looks like he is on version 2 of his Razor harness.  He has gotten a custom wing manufactured now which looks quite excellent:

He has some awesome videos on his site, they are what drove me to build my own minimal harness.  The shot of him holding his tanks out to the side, spinning around over a shipwreck are neat.  I had to do it myself when I was in Cozumel last.  Very free feeling!
Everyone spends the first nine months of their life in water.  The lucky ones make frequent return visits.
05-31-2011, 07:37 PM,

Hi Jason!!
Thank You for very nice article & picturesSmile
I use 8pounds weight with LP 85s + harness + drysuit and yesterday I finished my training quarry dive with 150&200 psi inSmile
tanks LP-85= Buoyancy Empty, lbs -1, Buoyancy Full, lbs -6.
"NO problem" at last 10-5feet's to do skills.
What is your "dry" experience? With harness.
Best regards Michal (CzechSmile

06-01-2011, 11:55 AM,
Unfortunately I haven't tried it in a drysuit with steels yet.  When I came back from Mexico after having used it I began my CCR training and I had to put a crazy number of hours onto my rebreather so that I could qualify for CCR trimix training for a project I was working on.  Because of that I couldn't take the time to dive open circuit at all.  Now that all my training is behind me I plan on trying it out sometime.

I've spoken to some people on the Cave Divers Forum about it and several people have been more than happy diving big steel tanks with stages using this system.

If you think about it it should work.  When I dive sidemount in my drysuit I don't wear a weightbelt and I hardly use my BC.  This should be no different. 
06-01-2011, 11:35 PM,
Thanks for answer, J.
Yes, You are right!
When I dived in Florida cave, I don't wear a weightbelt also, but it was different> light undergarment & final pressure in tank's was minimum  1,000PsiSmile) each.
I wish you luck with CCR trimix & "project".
Regards M.