Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR section
04-07-2004, 02:08 PM,
DIR section
How would you feel about adding a discussing section just devoted to DIR diving to the forum?
I have noticed this forum has quite a few DIR divers contributing, and a lot of questions being asked. It would be nice if someone would like to get a specific DIR answer to a certain question to get a (hopefully somewhat ;D) straightforward answer, without having to sift through a variety of options. This will still allow for certain other discussions (like the deco and gear ones) to continue in the other forums if a wider variety of answers is considered.

Please post your input, and if there is enough interest Jason will go ahead and add a link.

Best,
David
04-07-2004, 03:59 PM,
Re:DIR section
Sounds like a good idea to me, since things always get side-tracked into other areas as well.

Jon
04-08-2004, 11:36 AM,
Sure why not. I'm not personally 100% DIR since I haven't taken a GUE course but I have adopted many of the DIR methods and I dive a DIR rig. I'm always looking for ways to improve my diving. There are quite a few DIR divers on the boards here and over on the mnscuba.com forum as well so I'll vote for it.
04-08-2004, 12:01 PM,
Lonnie,

I have seen you dive and I would say that you way more squared away with the DIR thing than many of the divers around here who profess to be DIR. You've got the gear worked out, excellent trim in the water, and you watch out for your buddies- in my book you make the cut even though you don't have the patch. Wink

Jon
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM,
I'm in for a DIR section. I agree with Lonnie, I have not taken any GUE courses but the philosophy makes a whole lot of sense. I have recently configured my equipment to DIR/Hogarthian, now its time to hone the skills. So far I seem to prefer the "kindler, gentler" DIR (thanks Gert) rather than the GI3 version, but I am alway willing to listen. My goal is to learn more and improve my diving.

Todd
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM,
For those of you who are completely turned off by GI3's attittude and online persona I would suggest two things: first read some of the early techdiver posts, dating back to 1993 ( if it's still up), where George took a lot more time explaining the why's and how's in great detail without much of the namecalling. His attittude changed over the years as he saw more and more techdivers biting the dust in situations that could have been easily prevented if they had followed DIR protocol; and secondly, George most of the time was just sitting behind his computer to have some fun. He isn't an educator in the sense of a JJ or AG, and a lot of times he just wanted to poke some fun with the strokes by stirring up stuff. If you read in between the lines, however, you realize the guy has dismantled so many stroke myths and really shown us how it can be done DIR in a fun and save manner.
04-08-2004, 03:44 PM,
Either that he was tripping on his cocaine addition and steroid use
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM,
he was tripping on his cocaine

Are you talking about George Irvine or George Bush? Wink
04-08-2004, 06:35 PM,

I guess I could have seen that one coming, but then again, someone's loss is another man's gain Wink
04-08-2004, 08:18 PM,
GI3 is buff...steroids you say?

I vote sure for the DIR forum. A lot of the posts have sort of turned into that already. We haven't grown much as far as posting/contributing members go, so I'm not sure there is a huge benefit, but it can't hurt anything.

I'm off to find some steroids now...