Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite Presentation/Meeting Feb. 22
02-16-2011, 04:20 PM,
Red Granite Presentation/Meeting Feb. 22
Badger State Dive Club will be hosting a presentation by Neill Urban of Red Granite Divers Oasis. Neill will be explaining what has been happening with Red Granite Quarry and what the future plans are. This is an opportunity to have your questions answered.

This event will be held Feb. 22 at Edwardo's Pizza on the corner of Hwy. 100 and Bluemound Rd. in Wauwatosa. The presentation will be from 7:30PM-8:00pm. At 8:00PM we will take a break for pizza and at 8:15PM continue the rest of the evening with our regular meeting.

Pizza is available to all for $5.00 per person for all you can eat and the Club picks up the rest. Beer, soda and water are provided at no charge.

We hope you can spend the evening with us. However, if you are only interested in the presentation, the break time will give those who want to, a chance to leave.

If you plan to attend please let us know. You can reply to this post, RSVP to us on Facebook or email us at info@badgerstatediveclub.org. Please like our Facebook page to find out what events BSDC has going on. If you cannot notify us please come anyway!

Hope to see you there!!
02-16-2011, 11:24 PM,
Re: Red Granite Presentation/Meeting Feb. 22
I'll be unable to make the meeting due to work, though I'm interested in the presentation. I'm hoping somebody can post a report here after. Thanks!
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM,
So, any updates from the meeting?
02-26-2011, 11:21 AM,
Sorry for the late report.

On behalf of Badger State Dive Club I'd like to thank Neill Urban and Pat LaSage for taking the time to come to our meeting along with all who attended.

Neill and Pat gave an overview of what their plans are for Red Granite. Keep in mind we had a limited amount of time so we were not able to go into a lot of details. Many of the topics have been discussed here on another post so I'll keep it brief. They discussed the cleaning process, the restaurant, the ponds being added and general ideas for the for the area around the Quarry. They are thinking of more than just divers being able to use the facility.

The part that Neill and Pat stressed the most is that they need more information on what divers would like to see in and by the quarry. Ideas were given out. Things like access, bathrooms, air fills and more. One suggestion discussed was adding a floating dock with underwater lighting. Similar to what was done at Forty Fathoms Grotto in Florida. I have never been there but have seen articles and photos and it looks like a good idea. We also suggested following what some of the other quarries had done for divers.

What Neill and Pat need the most right now is feed back from divers. Especially divers that are familiar with the quarry itself. They need to know what type of things divers would like to see in the quarry. What the best locations are to sink objects. Feedback from instructors that use the quarry would be very helpful. What sort of platforms. Numbers of platforms and depth. Maybe a navigation course.

For the most part, things are still in the planning stage. Now is the time for divers to help turn this into the diving facility we would all like to see. Neill said that they will draw a plan and present it to the city later this year for approval. Now is the time do send them you ideas.

Overall the presentation was well done. I would like to invite Neill and Pat back when the have a drawn plan for the quarry prior to going to the city. I think then it would be easier to point out changes, additions etc.

Thanks
Dan Klink, President, Badger State Dive Club
02-26-2011, 04:02 PM,
Thanks for the report Dan. I was hoping to see a drawing or preliminary sketch on the plans, but it doesn't look like they are that far along yet. I think Neil and Pat should maybe be looking to talk to the many dive shops that would possibly use the facility to see what THEY are looking for.
03-20-2011, 06:10 PM,
Question, is this quarry diveable the way it is ( when the ice is out ) or does it need a little help?
03-21-2011, 09:22 AM,
Help in what way? We've been diving there for the past couple of years through the "construction". Visibility is generally poor. The best entrance at this point is down a short steep hill in the SW corner of the quarry at the Lions park behind the town post office.
03-21-2011, 05:58 PM,
Thank you. I was interested to know if it was diveable. I would hate to drive 400 miles and find out that its a swamp and no way to get in.
03-21-2011, 06:36 PM,
Nah, you'll be able to get in. 

03-27-2011, 09:55 PM,
When is all of this going to start?