Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cave diving in Wisconsin done for?
12-10-2010, 03:15 PM,
Cave diving in Wisconsin done for?
Jeff made mention of the DNR getting involved in Wisconsin cave diving and effectively shutting it down. I'm curious as to what exactly the situation is.
12-11-2010, 12:01 AM,
Re: Cave diving in Wisconsin done for?
FYI: Cave diving as we know it in Wisconsin is currently outlawed by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Under emergency legislation passed Dec. 8, 2010 by the Natural Resources Board to protect bats- cave diving would only be allowed by special permit, and with decontaminated gear (certified by the DNR) that is ONLY used in Wisconsin. The permission for use of gear that has been in other states is unlikely and the measure is cost prohibative to most cave divers.
Jeff Berry
12-11-2010, 12:05 AM,
12-11-2010, 12:09 AM,
Proposed rules to protect bat population criticized
host.madison.com
Rules designed to slow or stop the spread of the deadly bat disease known as white-nose syndrome into Wisconsin were attacked by critics Monday as being too heavy-handed, especially for commercial operators who could be required to seal off their caves from bats.
12-11-2010, 06:37 AM,
This is the first I've heard of this. Has this been a potential problem for quite a while, or was it a surprise?
12-11-2010, 08:11 AM,
Its been going for a few months!  the involved partys Cavers an cave divers got going on it!  the DNR sorta tryed to slide it undereveryone!  They wernt real honest an didnt listen to real experts that came in on there own dime to educate them!   
12-11-2010, 08:29 AM,
I'm currently in talks with DNR regarding permitting and exemptions to the current law.  On Dec. 8, 2010 an emergency law was passed by the Wisconsin Natural Resouces Board to protect bats from white nose syndrome, but has implications on all cave and mine entrances without regard to whether they are underwater, semi-submerged or not. The law will only allow entrance with permit/exemption, will only allow equipment into a cave that has been decontaminated via the US Fish and Wildlife regime, and only allow equipment that has ONLY been used in Wisconsin and no other state.  We are looking for a blanket exemption for cave diving where an individual that does not leave the water will not fall under this law- also since the divers will not have contact with the soil where the spores of the fungus that result in WNS reside, this should be allowed by DNR.  Sump diving will be another issue and a bridge we will cross later.
12-11-2010, 03:17 PM,

Here is another way to look at it!  I borrowed this with permission from the cavediver forums!

The posts state "THEY" when referring to the DNR. It would be in your interest to find the name of a person or committee behind this policy and the specific motivation behind it. The DNR people in the public meetings are using work product of a subordinate DNR staff member assigned to propose the regulation. You will need to find that person. It may be a biologist, or other scientific or conservation advocate within the DNR (like any bureaucracy) that decides if a policy is needed and then sets out to create policy to address the issue.

The need for new policy may have come about from staffer(s) that are acting on personal motivation (no directives from outside the DNR forcing the issue) or one that addresses requirements placed on the DNR by some probable federal policy or procedure. If internal factors are the sole force behind the new policy you might be surprised to find some dedicated stewards of the cave environment who you need to make alliances with. If they are the product of a Federal guideline or a caving policy set elsewhere and in place solely to address requirements or other mandates imposed on the DNR there is not much you can do until you find out what the outside factor is. Often times outside influences are a square peg in round hole fix or a knee jerk reaction on the part of the DNR. Find the flaw, address it and work with them to make appropriate policy if needed.

I suspect the regs are a mandate from the federal government tied to funding. In some cases policies are there because they are really needed in other places. The government paints with a broad brush and imposes its very general policy on the states. It is a big help to have assistance and the not for profits. The conservation policies of the NSS-CDS and the NACD can be of help and often provide workable solutions in place elsewhere. The conservation and cleanup programs of both groups and cite stewardship already in use on a national and international level and paint with a fine brush to address local needs. It’s uphill but it seems the trend is national regulation, you in Wisconsin may be the canary in the mineshaft.
12-19-2010, 01:13 PM,
I have not seen a time limit stated for limiting access to caves? Is the time limit reasonable when considering the possible adverse loss of bat population? The effect of WNS is truly sad as bats are an important part of our ecosystem.