Remember me
Lost Password Register

Newb...looking for a Dive Computer
12-13-2010, 09:03 PM,
Re: Newb...looking for a Dive Computer
..by not going cheap...I'm not saying price necessarily equates to quality....what I am saying - is don't buy the gear your life depends solely on how cheaply you can get it...again....research...ask....then work at getting proficient.....and don't forget to have fun... 
12-14-2010, 11:39 AM,
Ok thanks....maybe I'll lay off from buying a dive computer until further down the road.

We have a friend getting maried in Mexico (Puerto Morelos), and from what I read there's some great place to dive around there. My wife and I are heading down there, and I really want to dive during my visit.

This will be my first dive (apart from my open water certification training). I'm excited and nervous, b/c I don't want to get over my head here.

there seems to be some beginner locations I hope we'll end up going to.

Would the best thing to do is just rent 100% when I'm there...rather than buying something here and lugging it down in to Mexico?
12-14-2010, 12:40 PM,
At the very least, bring your mask along.  A good fitting mask can go a long way to make a dive enjoyable, and a poorly fit mask can make a dive really miserable.
12-14-2010, 03:04 PM,

yes...sorry I should of mentioned, I'll have a mask and snorkel to bring along. I also do have boots and fins as well...but I'm not sure if I'll have room to bring them.
12-14-2010, 05:49 PM,
I know people who bring their own mask, snorkel, boots and fins.  Then rent the BCD and regulator at their dive shop up north and bring it with them.  A little more sure of the quality of their equipment.

Doug
12-14-2010, 06:35 PM,
...as Chris and Doug have said - and - see if your LDS will let you take (or rent) the reg you think you'd like to buy down with you - if available - versus the shop reg... have a great trip & dives....
12-16-2010, 08:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 08:59 AM by firstbreath.)
one more dumb question....It sounds like people hold off from buying a dive computer until they have everything else. So without one, how do you take into account of decompression time and all that?

Or is it b/c I'm just an open water diver, not going below 50-60ft, that I don't have to worry about it?
12-16-2010, 09:49 AM,
If you are a certified diver you should have learned how to work tables or a wheel for NDL's and residual nitrogen for dive planning.
12-16-2010, 10:04 AM,

that's what I thought they would teach us...but our instructor pushed the computer over the tables. More accurate and reduces that chance of human error from miscalculation. We were given the tables and wheels, but didn't go over them a whole lot.

Maybe I'll just give in and purchase a computer, so I don't have to rely on the tables when in Mexico. i don't think I fully trust myself relying on something I wasn't fully trained on. better be safe than sorry.

then again...it's just a two-tank dive...so I imagine using the tables wouldn't be that difficult. I'll just have to worry about one dive with residual Nitrogen in my system.
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM,

that's what I thought they would teach us...but our instructor pushed the computer over the tables. More accurate and reduces that chance of human error from miscalculation. We were given the tables and wheels, but didn't go over them a whole lot.

Maybe I'll just give in and purchase a computer, so I don't have to rely on the tables when in Mexico. i don't think I fully trust myself relying on something I wasn't fully trained on. better be safe than sorry.

then again...it's just a two-tank dive...so I imagine using the tables wouldn't be that difficult. I'll just have to worry about one dive with residual Nitrogen in my system.
[/quote]

Where were you trained????????????????????????????????????????