Remember me
Lost Password Register

Red Granite is open
03-30-2004, 03:50 PM,
Red Granite is open
For those that are or were interested, Red Granite and Flynn's Quarry are open. I drove by both today and Red Granite is wide open and Flynns has a patch of slushy ice covering about 1/8 of the quarry. It looked as though vis would be OK but not spectacular.

Todd
03-30-2004, 05:57 PM,
Re:Red Granite is open
Thanks Todd
03-31-2004, 08:05 AM,
Man...now everyone is going to be diving this weekend and I'm going to be out of town Sad
04-03-2004, 05:38 PM,
Nice to be in open water agian. Had two really nice dives at Red Granite today. Visibility is crappy abouve 60ft but great (30+)below that.

I think I may have a tan from Gert's dual 24W HID video set-up. I'm not sure how I feel about having my entire dive video taped.
04-03-2004, 07:31 PM,
Definitely a great day to be under the water rather than above it. That wind was nasty. Sad Sucks that I couldn't get both dives today but the way the morning went, I'm just happy that I was able to make one of them. I'm pretty damn happy that I don't need a weightbelt or v-weight with my 80's. I like building stuff, but something about playing with liquid metal with my fumble fingers doesn't appeal to me that much. We can still manage the "drink beer when finished" part though.

Judging by the look of the video Chris, Gert spent waaaay too much time getting footage of your ass..., errr I mean frogkick technique. Better check yourself for moonburn. ;D That is a pretty crazy setup he has.

04-03-2004, 08:49 PM,
I'm not sure if this is Chris or Todd, but it's got to be better than Gert's butt shots. Wink

Jon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   diver_red_granite.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.18 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-03-2004, 08:51 PM,
THe shallows by the pickel factory were a little murky, but they cleared up a little bit in other parts of the quarry. Not the best vis I have ever seen there, but certainly better than the Madiosn lakes and Lannon Quarry right now!

Jon

.jpg_thumb   shallows.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.61 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-03-2004, 08:53 PM,
It certainly was true that the vis improved quite a bit once you got past 50' or 60'. The boats, and snowmoblie, were in the murky water, but this fine relic was sitting in the clear stuff. Wink

Jon

.jpg_thumb   toilet.jpg_thumb (Size: 27.74 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-03-2004, 08:56 PM,
My new wetsuit rocks! ;D

I never even felt a shiver the whole time I was in the water. I could have stayed in all day, but my buddies were getting pretty cold. Once the sun came out they cralwed onto the rocks to sun themselves like lizards. 8)

They are both thinking of upgrading to new suits now.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   lizard_boy.jpg_thumb (Size: 19.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
04-03-2004, 09:01 PM,
Even Lisa, who's on the UK freediving team, had to climb out to enjoy the mid-day sun.

She was glad to get a chance to get a little pre-season depth training in before she heads back home next month, as she missing out on some of their training sessions while she's here.

Jon

.jpg_thumb   lisa_rest.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.55 KB / Downloads: 0)