Remember me
Lost Password Register

Site Markers
08-22-2010, 06:49 PM,
Site Markers
Can someone explain to me why there are no jugs marking wrecks off Two Rivers, is someone out there really pissed off about something, we went to the following on Sun. 8/22 America, Simmons and the Crane and Loader nothing was marked so we had a 35 mile boat ride round trip, I don't get it
08-23-2010, 05:23 AM,
Re: Site Markers
Odd, but not unheard of. In the future you may want to take a spool of rope, some bleach jugs, and a grapple. Most, if not all of the wrecks will still have the sub-floats on them. You have to locate the wrecks with your depth/fish finder and grapple them or drop somebody to go down to 20 ft and look for the sub-float and tie on a tag line. Most of the wrecks are buoyed by private individuals, so everybody that dives them should be helping to maintain them. Our group has spent more than a few dives raising moorings.
08-23-2010, 06:13 AM,
  The moorings in Port Washington  were just removed,  We were going out Sunday when we were on the boat ramp we were talking to Ralph of Divers Delight who was at the ramp and they told us that the DNR made them remove the moorings as they were in the way of the fishing boats. I don't understand this because now we have to thy and anchor or hook the wreck I thought this is what the DNR didn't want.
08-23-2010, 10:02 AM,
It's true, rope and jug mooring on shipwrecks are illegal in the eyes of the DNR- But luckily for the most part they ignore them and allow us divers to put them on and leave them there.  If there are complaints from fishermen, or boaters, or whoever, then they are obliged to cut them off.  The most conscientious way to "hook" a wreck is to drop a buoy when you see it on your bottom finder, then send a diver down to cautiously set the anchor into the wreck. 

Don't worry too much about Port Washington, I'm working on getting permanent, permitted shipwreck moorings there, but might not be permitted until next spring- so stand by.
08-23-2010, 11:24 AM,
Tamara is right someone did complane and that is why the warden wanted us to remove the lines,  his complant was that he lost his downrigger and gear on the mooring line this was not true when we removed the line on the Northerner we also picked up his fishing gear that we will return to him, we also took pictures to  show him that he was actually dragging the downrigger ball on the bottom and got hooked in the wreck not in the mooring line. 
Divers' Delight Scuba Charter