Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Huron Dive Trip
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM,
Lake Huron Dive Trip
This site needs a little livening up. Time to put a post up about a great dive trip I was privileged to participate in last week.

Our group trailered over to lake Huron last week. Now this was my kind of vacation. It was a lot of work doing mostly technical dives, but the shipwrecks are some of the nicest ones I have seen and are worth all of the effort! In the course of the week we did 9 dives on 8 different shipwrecks. Here is the list of dive sites we visited.

Schooners;
Cornelia Windiate (Presque Isle)
Kyle Spangler (Presque Isle)
Typo (Presque Isle)
Newell Eddy (Hammond Bay)

Wooden Steamers;
Florida (Presque Isle)
Henry Johnson (Hammond Bay)

Steel Freighters;
Cedarville (Straits)
Norman (Presque Isle)

Thanks to Gary and Randy for supplying the boats and the headaches inherent to that part of the trip. Gary with a burnt up trailer bearing and Randy who had to leave early with a down engine. We had great support with breathing gas and advice from Steve at Great Lakes Divers in Rogers City. With the exception of the Newell Eddy we had great vis. probably 75ft or more in most cases. We had mostly calm seas, well.... except for that day on Hammond Bay when Gary's boarding ladder was customized in the 3ft seas Wink It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back again next year!

Dennis
Dennis
07-15-2010, 07:14 AM,
Re: Lake Huron Dive Trip
Sounds like a good time! We're heading back over here in mid-August. What did you have for bottom temps, thermoclines etc? I've never been there this late in the year. We usually go in late May or early June when it's 38-40 degrees top to bottom. I'm looking forward to warm deco Wink.
07-16-2010, 06:00 PM,

Matt, we had bottom temps of 39 to 40. The thermocline is gradual, it starts to warm around 80 ft. At the 20 ft stop I was getting a consistent 60 to 63 degrees. Very comfortable!
Dennis
07-16-2010, 11:42 PM,
Sweet! Thanks for the info.