Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pearl Lake, South Beloit
06-28-2010, 08:59 AM,
Pearl Lake, South Beloit
Went out to Pearl with a group of teenage cancer patients and survivors who were learning to dive. Water temp was average. Surface was low-70s, 63 below the thermocline which was at 20 ft or so. Visability was great -- 15-20+ ft. Saw the shaddow of the bow of the Thora Ann from the surface, which is around 22 ft. Saw step van/bread truck clearly from surface, which is at 18 feet. Not sure what it is after a gorgeous weekend for training dives for the major shops in the area, but it was great for us. Wonderful weekend (Thursday-Friday) of diving. Got 3 of 6 kids OW certified, 1 kid got his AOW certification, another got his wreck specialty.
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM,
Re: Pearl Lake, South Beloit
Sounds like a nice time. I hope the new divers join the shrinking number of local divers in our area.
06-28-2010, 02:35 PM,
I'm sure they will ... it means less crowded lakes ... so long as shops stay open ... which so far is not hapening. Generally we use Fontana Sports on Lake Geneva (camp is based on Lake Geneva) for fills and emergency gear rental, but that closed sometime between last summer and this. Same with 3 Little Devils in Baraboo. Thankfully we still have one here in Madison.

On a side note, I forgot to mention that we found zebra muscles on the Thora Ann, tiny ones wedged between the wood on the port side railing area and a couple of larger ones under the railing on the port side. Sad
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM,
My buddy and myself found some last year on the airplane, Some divers belive they will clean the water but in reality they take over and cover everything in site. They are not very friendly and as far as I know they are not supper for anything else in the area.
08-08-2010, 06:19 PM,
We are planning on diving Pearl Lake on Aug. 15. Can anyone give us a report on the conditions? Viz / temp. ?
Thanks
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM,
Was there about two weeks ago.  Visibility was about 5-10 feet, not really great.
08-13-2010, 12:14 AM,
Was there on Tuesday.  Bath water on the top, cooler at 19 feet, next thermocline around 40 . . . Vis sucked everywhere.  Sad
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM,
Hey everyone, I recently got certified last weekend, and I'm looking to go somewhere in SE Wisconsin to polish up my diving. From what I heard, Pearl Lake may be my best option...is that correct? I'll probably have to wait till spring of next year though...b/c it's so late in the season.

Also, as far as equipment, i don't have very much (boots, fins, mask and snorkle). Does anyone know of any good places to rent equipment...I'm not exaclty financially able to drop a grand or two on everything i need. so renting may be the way to go for awhile, anyways.

thanks!
09-24-2010, 07:11 AM,
PM sent
09-25-2010, 04:45 PM,
Congrats on getting certified. Loves Park Scuba is about 15-20 minutes from Pearl Lake. They have everything that you will need to rent, and they are reasonable. Pearl Lake will close for the season in October, usually after the second weekend.