Remember me
Lost Password Register

112 Year Old Shipwreck Mystery Solved
06-24-2010, 06:38 AM,
112 Year Old Shipwreck Mystery Solved
"Turns out all we needed to do is to czech"
~by computer geek I work with

Shipwreck Explorers would like to thank all the divers and deck support that dedicated the time and efforts in re-locating this shipwreck, diving, filming, and documenting her.

A group of Wisconsin marine historians and divers have announced the discovery of the missing steamship L.R. Doty, which vanished in a violent Lake Michigan storm 112 years ago, on October 25, 1898.

The Doty was the largest wooden ship still missing on Lake Michigan, with an overall length of 300 ft. She was bound from South Chicago to Midland, Ontario with a cargo of corn and the four-masted schooner Olive Jeanette in tow when she was struck by a tremendous storm several miles north of Milwaukee. Waves reportedly reached 30 ft, with 70 mph winds. The Olive Jeanette was severely damaged, but survived the storm. The Doty however, was never seen again.

On June 16, 2010 a group of explorers led by marine historian Brendon Baillod and charter captain Jitka Hanakova relocated the site, which had been snagged by a commercial fish tug in 1991, nearly 20 miles off Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Technical divers, including John Janzen, John Scoles, Tracy Xelowski, Jitka Hanakova, Lubo Valuch and Ron Benson descended to the site in over 300 ft of water and filmed the wreck extensively. Marine historians Brendon Baillod and Peter Scotland provided surface support.

Video reveals that the ship is upright and intact with the remains of her corn cargo still present in her hold. She is in an amazing state of preservation due to the cold, fresh water and extreme depth.

For detailed information about the discovery, the dive team and photos of the ship and the wrecksite, please visit :

For additional information please contact:

Brendon Baillod at               608-438-7246         608-438-7246 (brendon@ship-wreck.com)
Jitka Hanakova at               414-807-8233         414-807-8233 (jitka@shipwreckexplorers.com)

Watch for a public program about this historic shipwreck, its crew and its loss at Milwaukee's Discovery World Museum.
06-24-2010, 08:43 AM,
Re: 112 Year Old Shipwreck Mystery Solved
HD video from the dive is posted at:

06-24-2010, 09:22 AM,
That is really awesome you guys!  I would love to be able to take part in something like that!  Great Job!
06-24-2010, 11:24 AM,
Congratulations on a great find!

Dennis
Dennis
06-24-2010, 10:29 PM,
Great video, John.  Really nice find.  I am sure that there is plenty of history on this wreck.  Interesting comments on You Tube.

Doug