Remember me
Lost Password Register

tank tumblers
03-22-2010, 12:01 PM,
tank tumblers
Anybody here built a tank tumbler? I have Todds old treadmill motor and controls. We thought that would make a good starting point. I have a welder and 1/2 a clue, so I'm just looking for some ideas.
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM,
Re: tank tumblers
Matt,
  Its not rocket science.  Oxy handler has pictures If you need help you know how to get a hold of me.
Jeff
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM,
I used this example,  Mine's pretty close.
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM,
I figured if somebody already figured out a nice easy design I wouldn't need to go through a trial and error process. I'd just copy it  ;D.

Bubblemaker, thanks for the link.
04-06-2010, 03:38 PM,
The tumbler itself is the easy part. Reasonably priced ceramic media can be had from McMaster-carr.  You'll need a few other items for cleaning the tanks and preventing flash rust.  These are made by Global Manufacturing.  NorthEastern scuba supply is the best source unless you like paying high mark up at the LDS.  Then you need something to rinse your tanks without killing your back and some sort of DIY tank dryer.  If you have access to some rebar and a wire welder, they are easy to make.  Been down the road.  it's a bit more involved then what it looks like on the surface.
    By the way, my local hydro facility wants tanks rolled BEFORE they come in for hydro.  YRMV
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM,
I have taken a cylinder inspection and 02 cleaning class in the past and have experience with cylinder maintenance. I have been doing my own for a few years with somebody else's equipment. I was just hoping to get going here at home instead of having to drag 25 cylinders somewhere, worry about time constraints, and make a big mess at somebody else's place. I would look for another hydro facility. Doesn't make sense to have to do it before they rust up a perfectly clean tank during the hydro. Do you have a picture of your tumbler?
03-05-2011, 09:26 PM,
Have you built your tumbler yet? I built one for myself then another for a friend. I can send more detailed info if your interested and a picture.

Basically you built a very stiff platform with wheel casters on all 4 corners. Rollers are 7/16 steel rod from a hardware store. Slip milking machine hose over the rods to make the rollers. The rollers are held off the platform with pillow block bushings. One drives while the other is an idler. The driver has a 4 1/2" pulley on one end. You need to cut a rectangular slot out of the platform for the pulley to drop into. Thats why it needs to be on caser wheels. If I recall the pulley on the motor is 1/2". Would have to look at mine to get specifics but the end result is a tank tumbling at the recommended rpm.

Everything is bolted to the platform, no gear reduction needed. Motor is from a furnace or washing machine.

Tom
03-06-2011, 06:13 AM,
No. I never did make one. I payed to have them tumbled after the hydro's and am in the process of cleaning the valves and doing the visuals. I should be finished with this batch today. The tumbler is something I think about this time of year, and then the I'm done with the maintenance for the year and don't think about it until next year. Maybe I'll try to build one next winter.
03-06-2011, 11:33 AM,
Tom,
Welcome to Wiscuba.  Post some photos here.  Now that the compressor is done, a tank tumbler is on my project list.

Chris
05-20-2011, 10:42 PM,
Tried to post pics, won't work for me. I can send you a personal email and attach pics if you like.

Tom