Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather Seminar & Demo Under Water Connections
02-20-2010, 08:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-20-2010, 08:51 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Re: Rebreather Seminar & Demo Under Water Connections
To set the record straight-  Kimm Stablefeldt of Ghost Ships Festival invited Ron Benson to bring his rebreathers and join us in the pool this year- but according to his email, he declined and thusly decided to hold his own event. 

I’m truly sorry that you chose not to participate, Ron.  The other “local talent” and I have had a fantastically fun time in years past and I think that your participation would have only made for a broader experience for everyone.  Sad

Everyone is always welcome at our events! That being said, I finally have all the different rebreathers lined up for year three of Ghost Ship Festivals’ Rebreather Demo!  It’s bigger and better than ever! And we look forward to offering the experience to anyone that wishes to jump in the pool -- with the convenience of not having to leave the Festival for one minute!   Wink

02-20-2010, 09:34 PM,
Ron
I really like your idea about a Ghost Ships Challenge it is needed.
I would also point out the hundreds of people that donate thousands of hours of their time for nothing to make these shows work.
All of the moneys that are generated at these shows goes right back to the diving communities in the form of grants.
These grants are used for Shipwreck Bouys, Shipwreck Documentation, and getting these Wrecks on the National Register of Historic Places. (the best protection that we can give them at this time)

But all this ignores your personal decision this winter to do as much damage as you could to
The Dive into the Past show in ST. Paul
And the Ghost Ship Festival in Milluakee.

This is the best example of misdirection and political spin that I can think of in recent memory.
Have you thought about becoming a politician?

If you want to talk about petty childish name calling I would be happy to post a copy of your January 11th email rant for the whole world to see.

Safe Diving
Bob
02-21-2010, 06:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2010, 06:37 AM by matt t..)

Tami, what other local re-breather instructors are going to attend the event? From years past I thought Gregg Stanton (from Florida) usually supplies most of the units.
02-21-2010, 07:58 AM,
*Deleted*  Just staying out of the whole deal..... :Smile
02-21-2010, 05:16 PM,
I think with all the problems that we are seeing in the sport the best bet is as Ron says “Support Ghost Ships!”  To me that means go to Ghost Ships, bring a friend and if you want to attend a rebreather demo go see the one at the festival or go to one of the many others Ron says he is doing.  Another option would be to contact Tammi or Greg Such and I am sure either of them will work with you as there are many different training options out there.

Bottom line is like Ron says get out and support Ghost Ships!  Especially those dealers that are there year after year and especially now in these tough economic times.  These are the dealers supporting you so let’s keep the momentum going by getting behind them!

Enough of getting on the soap box and preaching about what anyone has done in the past!  Let’s look to the future and keep on supporting those that support us!

Rich
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)

I only teach the KISS Classic and KISS Sport models - hardly a diverse selection. Ozzy and Jay have organized and arranged all the GLSPS guys into graciously bringing their Inspos and Evos- they are from Minneapolis/Duluth (as local as Ron). Gregg Stanton brings the rest of the units to the table- he can offer so many more opportunities for us to Try & Dive than any one of our local instructors.  I don't think that it is unfair to include him- he offers such a huge selection! Understand too that a lot of students have traveled and do consider travel to Florida for their training- consistently warm water and longer exposure times for training. 

True I am the one that originally came up with the idea and approached Ghost Ships Festival with it, (also, the event falls under my dive shop's insurance policy, which satisfies the hotel) but it would be short-sighted of me to not be inclusive of others.  The idea was "Rebreathers- experience them" - it has never been about hard sales for training or purchases.  Again, anyone that has come forward and asked to participate has been included to make the experience a better and broader one. 

Everyone is always welcome! 
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM,

I only teach the KISS Classic and KISS Sport models - hardly a diverse selection. Ozzy and Jay have organized and arranged all the GLSPS guys into graciously bringing their Inspos and Evos- they are from Minneapolis/Duluth (as local as Ron). Gregg Stanton brings the rest of the units to the table- he can offer so many more opportunities for us to Try & Dive than any one of our local instructors.  I don't think that it is unfair to include him- he offers such a huge selection! Understand too that a lot of students have traveled and do consider travel to Florida for their training- consistently warm water and longer exposure times for training. 

True I am the one that originally came up with the idea and approached Ghost Ships Festival with it, (also, the event falls under my dive shop's insurance policy, which satisfies the hotel) but it would be short-sighted of me to not be inclusive of others.  The idea was "Rebreathers- experience them" - it has never been about hard sales for training or purchases.  Again, anyone that has come forward and asked to participate has been included to make the experience a better and broader one. 

Everyone is always welcome! 
[/quote]
Thanks for the insight.
02-21-2010, 08:50 PM,
Forgot to mention- this year Pete Nawrocky, Dive Rite's National Sales Manager will be in the pool with the  Dive Rite O2ptima.  Dive Rite is donating CO2 cartidges for both Ghost Ships Festival and Dive into the Past.  And, he is bringing along Dive Rite's new sidemount system for those that want to hop in the pool to try it!