Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver's D/Lyte
02-16-2010, 10:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-16-2010, 11:36 AM by WI_Diver.)
Re: Diver's D/Lyte
Thank you for sending me the research.

The first paper outlines a study where military divers were sent through test dives.  The control condition was a simple test dive with no prehydration.  The test was for divers to consume 1.3L of a saline/glucose liquid 90 minutes before the test dive.  They found that the test divers did indeed have less venous gas emboli in their circulatory systems than the control group.  They also found that the hydration did not appear to increase plasma surface tension so it may have less influence on the risk of DCS than was previously thought by many.

So basically if you drink water, or water with a bit of sugar and salt, you will theoretically reduce your VGE after a dive.  Pretty common sense – you won’t find a dive class around that doesn’t stress proper hydration.

The second paper discussed the effect of antioxidants upon deep saturation divers.  Divers were sent to 400 meters (1,312 feet) for 30 days and their blood was analyzed for liver dysfunction or hepatic disturbance.  It was determined that these divers had increased levels of indicators in their plasma that were indicative of liver damage.  By giving divers Vitamin C, Vitamin E (α-tocopherol), and tea catechins these indicators and the associated damage were reduced.

The problem here is that I don't know a lot of divers going to 400 meters for 30 days.  I would like to see a study targeted towards actual recreational (recreational recreational and technical recreational) divers to see if the effect were the same.

I dunno.  If I were the Mythbusters I’d give you a plausible.  Eat healthy and drink enough water before you dive is what I get out of the papers by that is just me and I’m a bit of a cynic.  I do appreciate the posting of the research, made for some interesting reading.

**Edit**

These studies were not done in conjunction with the release of your product either.  One study was conducted in 2004 by Japanese researches while another study was released in 2008 to a journal for sports medicine.  While relative to the product claims they are not in conjunction with.

The studies do provide a bit of plausability to the product but the claims on the manufacturer website are waaaaay too much marketing hype. 

As far as improved recovery and off gassing our proprietary blend ensures the effective removal of nitrogenous wastes and assists in reducing your nitrogen load.

The off gassing / detox process is greatly improved by drinking just one packet.

I do not see that supported anywhere in the research and it is a pretty shaky claim to make.  I see that hydration can reduce VGE in the research and potentially reduces DCS.  I see nothing about improved offgassing.

I know it probably sounds like I have a vendetta against this product and I apologize for that.  I just cannot stand it when marketing is used to distort science and facts in order to sell a product to people.  You have what appears to be a sport drink mix and you are marketing it as if it is a miracle product for deco and DCS.
02-16-2010, 08:40 PM,
New dive show that drinks Diver's D/Lyte for all their dives. This is the new up and coming dive show on tv and they will be at Our World Underwater for user reviews of the product.

Scuba Diver Girls doing product testing of Diver's D/Lyte.

Again, I wish I was able to release more information on the product in the way of studies and ingredients, but, I can't because of a patent pending.
Thanks Much and Dive Safe,<br /><br />Mike Bernard<br />Mobile Divers LLC<br />(715) 482-8919<br />www.mobilediversllc.com<br /><br />
02-17-2010, 08:38 AM,
I look forward to reading studies that were done in actual conjuction with your product as well as further details as to how the product can enhance nitrogen offgassing when you are able to release the information.
02-17-2010, 10:13 PM,
In most cases simply applying for a patent should protect your product from copiers in a legal sense, assuming the patent office accepts your application.  Patents tend to take years or longer to process and get issued, that is why nearly every product you buy says patent pending on it, not a patent number. 

I would also think that you have to have at least an ingredients list for any beverage or nutritional supplement youre trying to sell. 

But who knows, I mean marketing departments live off of pseudo-science.
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM,
Re: Diver's D\Lyte

Hi deep_al,

Thanks for your comments and questions. Currently Diver’s D\Lyte® is Patent Pending which gives us 1 year to complete our full patent submission. Yes our patent has been accepted however, this does not give us any real protection. The nutrition facts are included on all the product labeling. You will find this at the point of sale locations in your area, your local dive shop. There they will provide you with more product details, proper education and use of Diver’s D\Lyte®. Please ask for product details there and allow your shop the chance to help you first.
Also, regarding pseudo-science, Diver’s D\Lyte® was developed from the latest and best source of diving science in the world. The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, check them out you'll find me listed there as a member.

Thanks again,
John Dooley

02-23-2010, 06:54 PM,

Hello WI_Diver,

I want to personally thank you for the interest you have expressed in Diver’s D\Lyte®. We believe that there is a real need for our product in the world of diving and I have a feeling you agree based on the amount of study you have completed.

First, Diver’s D\Lyte® is not in the same category of beverage as Brawndo® as you have suggested. You can obtain a list of our ingredients at your local dive shop and then do your own comparison.

To your point on the common sense of hydration, almost every dive class lectures on hydration as you pointed out. Unfortunately the average diver doesn’t have your level of understanding of hyperosmotic solutions nor the knowledge of insensible fluid loss during a dive. Remember what it’s like for the first time scuba diver. That said the basic idea of drinking water in diving is just the type of thinking that needs to change. Flushing the system with water can be detrimental adding to an imbalance and energy loss. The Solution to both diver hyponatremia and dehydration may be found within Diver’s D\Lyte®.

“Supplementation of Antioxidants Prevents Oxidative Stress During a Deep Saturation Dive” Tohoku J. Exp. Med., 2004, 203, 353-357

Regarding the use of antioxidants in diving; the results of this peer reviewed study recommend the following in the Results and Discussion section;

“We recommend that saturation divers should take supplements of antioxidants. Moreover, Supplementation of antioxidants may also be beneficial to health in recreational divers”.

Take your antioxidants or don’t. Again Diver’s D\Lyte® provides an easy and convenient solution to another basic diver need. As recommend in a peer review journal.

Diver’s D\Lyte® was introduced at DEMA in 2009 and is a product that addresses safety first and foremost in diving. We want divers to have the safest most enjoyable dives. Remember that diving is about having fun and teaching others how to enjoy our sport. We are divers just like you, we support several groups of diver activities from free diving to tech diving. Please visit our website and sign up for product information and promotional events.

We really love the feedback we get on our product and encourage it as a matter of fact. Please join one of our focus groups based upon your level of experience. We have Free Divers,   Spear Divers groups, Female Dive Groups , Tech Divers , and Rec. Dive groups . These focus groups can be found by inquiring on our website our directly with sites that are participating.

We reserve the right to protect our Proprietary Blend. Please join in the fun that’s already began with Diver’s D\Lyte®

Thank you,
John Dooley
Managing Director
Diver's D\Lyte, LLC.
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM by WI_Diver.)

I agree with proper hydration and nutrition, but I do not agree with questionable marketing claims.  If you think you need a special drink to have safe and healthy dives then hey - it's your money.  You guys are just selling this product like it it is god's next greatest gift to diving and I vehemently disagree.

The studies support reduced VGE and that antioxidants help people doing 1300 foot deep 30 day saturation dives.  They do not support "more efficient offgassing" and they only hypothesize that antioxidants could be beneficial in recreational diving.

Either way.  You guys have a good marketing gig going.  I've said my piece.

02-23-2010, 08:37 PM,

I agree with proper hydration and nutrition, but I do not agree with questionable marketing claims.  If you think you need a special drink to have safe and healthy dives then hey - it's your money.  You guys are just selling this product like it it is god's next greatest gift to diving and I vehemently disagree.

The studies support reduced VGE and that antioxidants help people doing 1300 foot deep 30 day saturation dives.  They do not support "more efficient offgassing" and they only hypothesize that antioxidants could be beneficial in recreational diving.

Either way.  You guys have a good marketing gig going.  I've said my piece.

[/quote]
Let it go already....