Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Dive the Habitat- Sunday
02-05-2010, 11:35 AM,
Ice Dive the Habitat- Sunday
We're doing a Pre- Super Bowl Ice Dive this Sunday, February 7th!!!

All certified ice divers are welcome to come out for a dive on the Habitat off Lake Mendota's Picnic Point.  Everyone is welcome- NO FEES!!!

We'll meet around 8AM at University of Wisconsin Lot 60 free parking area by the boat ramp. An ATV and wagon will be on site to drag gear out to the end of Picnic Point, but bring good boots for walking out to the site and standing on the ice.  We should have the hole cut and ready to dive by 9:30AM.  (If for some reason you need to arrive late - PM me or call Diversions Scuba 608-441-2545 to get one of our cell numbers so you can call for a ride when you arrive). We'll have 2 ice shanties on site for changing with space heaters. 

If you want a warm up after the dive, remember to bring a swimsuit for a dip in the hot tub back here at the shop!

Call if you have any questions or need directions to the dive site or parking area.  608-441-2545

02-08-2010, 09:47 AM,
Re: Ice Dive the Habitat- Sunday
Fun day and fun dives yesterday! 

Thanks to everyone that turned out to dive - special thanks to the Hoofers Scuba folks for all their help.  And a standing ovation goes out to Guy Schultz for letting us use his 4 wheeler and shanty!

Photos here: 

02-08-2010, 12:24 PM,
Nice capture of the handshake!  I wish my camera could could do the dive justice.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM,
Very nice photos, looks like alot of fun.  I also found a video on the Wisconsin State Journal web page of your dives.  Some day when I can afford a dry suit, I will have to try ice diving.
02-09-2010, 09:48 AM,
Ice diving can be done in a wetsuit.  I recomend a 7mm farmerjohn/jacket setup with a hood that has a decent bib.  If you are able, wear a shorty wetsuit under the 7mm for extra comfort.  If you feel you need it, warm water can be poored into your wetsuit just before going also helps.  You will also need a good regulator that will work in cold water conditions. 
It is also required that you have Advanced Open Water certification before you can take the Ice Diving class.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
02-09-2010, 10:41 AM,

I do have the 7mm wet suit, not farmer john style though.  My regulator is also good for cold weather.  I still think it would be pretty cold with just the wet suit but I will have to give it a try sometime.  I am new to diving, just got certified last summer with my wife.  We are doing the AOW this summer.
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM,
I dove it in a farmer john and was OK...although max depth probably wasn't more than 12' and the suit wasn't compressed much.  I wouldn't wait for a drysuit to try it...
02-11-2010, 01:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM by ScubaDo.)
Quote:I do have the 7mm wet suit, not farmer john style though.  My regulator is also good for cold weather.  I still think it would be pretty cold with just the wet suit but I will have to give it a try sometime.  I am new to diving, just got certified last summer with my wife.  We are doing the AOW this summer.

You will probably get cold very quick in a 1 pc 7mm.  Plus the time of being on the ice, it won't be good for you.  With the setup I mentioned earlier, you'll have 17mm around your core and will last much longer on the ice and in the water.  If I were in charge of the dive, I probably wouldn't let you in the water, I would be too concerned about your safety and well being.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM,
Doing ice dives in a wet suit is the way that we used dive all the time and these were all 5mm  suits. The wet suits and semi Dry that they have today are far superior and more than ample especially if its a Bare 8/7 which I have and have been using all winter on lake Michigan ,not because I don't have a dry suit but my semi dry is more comfortable and just as warm as my dry suits granted we have only been diving to 125' beyond this I would still use one of the dry suits. I believe the divers ability and fitness has a lot to do with what suit you should be using. If your out of shape no matter what kind of suit you wear is not going to make it any safer.