Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Light Recommendations - For Tropical Waters
01-15-2010, 09:25 AM,
Dive Light Recommendations - For Tropical Waters
Hi All-

Does anyone have a favorite dive light for use in daytime diving in tropical waters for approx. 60 ft. depth?  The main goal is to light up the colors of wildlife, etc. that are lost due to depth.

Bonus points for worry-free use / multi-purpose use / user satisfaction...

Thanks.
ERROR:  PC LOAD LETTER
01-15-2010, 08:42 PM,
Re: Dive Light Recommendations - For Tropical Waters
If you cant afford a good HID or led Can light I would go with the UK light canon HID Works good very bright easy to travel with an has 2 style handels.  OH yeah they arnt a whole lot of money.  I have a slightly used one I would sell ya with 2 handels an a diffuser for 100.00
01-15-2010, 09:17 PM,
I used a Light Cannon for photography for a long time.  It is a good economic choice.  Later you can decide to spend the big money on canister HID lights or a strobe.  Here are some pictures from the Cayman Islands using a Light Cannon as a light source.

Doug

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg_thumb   Balboa Wreck Cardinal Soldierfish - 3 - Enhanced-e-mail.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   Balboa Wreck Green Moray Eel - 3 - Enhanced - e-mail.jpg (Size: 88.39 KB / Downloads: 80)
01-16-2010, 09:01 AM,
Since you are looking for a light for warm water daytime diving , poking into holes in a reef and such, I would take a look at one of the smaller hand held LED lights available from most manufacturers.
01-16-2010, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2010, 10:08 AM by Dewit2it.)
If I remember right the LED lights seem to work better in seawater, and HID work better in freshwater.  Probably a spectral thing.

I bought 2 Light Cannons for my video housing, and D4/Vectra, UK 1200's, for normal diving, and C4's for backup.

The Vectra.  The beam is narrower than the D4, but it's no longer made. (bought the last 10 UK had in stock) The floor stand is useful for lighting in pools, ect.

DEW >&ltWink)>
01-16-2010, 03:39 PM,
Matt has a good point on the new LED lights.  I have not used them for photography but I know they are doing some amazing things wirh LED's and there are some real advantages with robustness and battery life.  I do not know if there is a light spectrum issue, maybe some others can comment on this.

Doug
01-16-2010, 04:59 PM,
I've seen LED lights do quite well in freshwater.There are lights made in China that use the new P7 LED.  Sooner or later they will make it to the USA.  The P7 LED puts out 900 lumens and runs on 3.6V.  They make a great flood light for video or use with a lens or reflector for torch lights.  I have several of these bulbs and even made my own underwater lighting system for my camera.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
01-17-2010, 07:31 AM,
I have seen Jim's (Scuba Do)Lights.  He knows LEDs.  On his car house an in the water. Diving an light is hand in hand no one has the single perfect light or system.  I have dove with Ken Merryman who's gear is configured around Lights camera an video.
  Buy a small hand held torch for a trip an do the best you can.  LED or HID You are going to look at how much room for travel.  A light canon or sl4 led with disposable batteries will work well for a trip!  Buy batteries when you get there.  Get rid of them before you leave.
Saves on weight for travel.
01-18-2010, 03:08 PM,
I have switched from HID to LED lights and I will never go back.  HID lights are just too fragile, unreliable and the bulbs are too expensive.  I've lost many dives due to broken or malfunctioning HID lights.

Titan makes very durable rechargable LED lights.  The whole system (light and batteries) is potted and completely waterproof.  Even if the lens cover breaks (and you'd have to hit it very hard to do that), the light will still work.  I've seen these lights fall from 5 feet high, land on concrete, bounce a couple times and then still work.  The link below shows the product I am talking about.  They aren't cheap, but they are practically indestructible, higly reliable and they produce a nice quality white light, not a bluish color like some LED's.  They also make a cannister style LED lights too with very long burn time.  The 25 watt version has 2 different brightness settings you can choose from.  Very nice lights.  For what you are looking for, probably a 10 watt hand held would be OK.

01-19-2010, 02:40 PM,
The funny thing with HID lights is that either you have a lot of luck or none. I'm on my second light in 8 years (upgraded from 10 watt to 18 watt 4.5 yrs ago). I never had a real problem with either. At this time I don't think the LED's are equal to the HID's for actual light output based on most of the "real world" comparisons I've read. The LED's are certainly more rugged and will take abuse. I will take a look at an LED can light before my next light purchase, but unless something significant changes that won't be for a few years.