Remember me
Lost Password Register

Deco Tables discussion
03-08-2004, 10:46 AM,
Re:Deco Tables discussion
Actually, we did at Deep Blue Adventures, and instructional freedom and the ability to teach the RGBM models were top among the reasons that we switched.

All of our active instructors completed a NAUI crossover this spring. In addition, we are running a NAUI instructor certification program this spring for an additional 3 instructors that will be working for us this year. There were other reasons for the change including:

1. We feel that the NAUI program materials are significantly stronger than PADI. The powerpoint presentations are by far stronger and more all encompassing than the program that PADI provides. The text and workbook are more interactive than PADI's and the exams are not even in the same league.

2. We believe that NAUI has much better and more developed and more respected technical programs. Therefore, we can bring all of our programs under one roof, from open water to rebreather.

3. NAUI allows much greater instructor freedom to add materials and to customize the program considering local conditions. NAUI's philosophy is to set minimum standards, and to allow instructors to add material from there. Also, unlike PADI, NAUI will allow an instructor to not certify a person even if they meet class minimum standards, if that instructor is not comfortable that the person can be a safe diver.

We will continue to offer PADI programming if students request it, but effective immediately, Deep Blue Adventures is officially Milwaukee's newest NAUI facility.

PS Sorry I have been out of circulation on this forum. I will post some plans that I have used on local wrecks that I have been very successful with later tonight. Now back to the discussion!!!!
03-08-2004, 09:43 PM,
Sorry Disagree with you and all parts except 2 but all NAUI did is use everyone elses work and just modified it to say its there's If your going to give credit to tech programs you better include IANTD, TDI, US Navy, British Navy and others I may of left out. All of NAUI top tech guys all came from one of these agencys, and still teach under them.

Any agency Instructor can chose not to certify a student if they feel they are not safe.

I dont care what material you use its the instructor that makes the presentation. PADI dosnt teach my students I do, They just provide material to help out.

But the ultimate decission is yours to make.
03-09-2004, 05:03 AM,
Actually, according to PADI standards, as long as a student can complete stated standards and they have paid class fees, you have no choice but to certify them. Have been through that arguement with them. But we digress, don't want to turn this into a NAUI PADI debate. This is supposed to be a discussion of deco tables.

My favorite schedule is for the Wisconsin.

For those of you not mix certified, use a nice Nitrox 28, and the following profile gives you 35 minutes on the bottom exploring and still has you out of the water in right around an hour. These tables were run on decoplanner using a 30/85 gradient factors. Also, please note that deco is not just a matter of running tables and then using them. I am only posting these to show the advantages of an additional gas.

Depth Time Gas Quantity Used
130 35 28% 110 cu ft
70 1 50% 2 cu ft
40 1 "" 1 cu ft
30 4 "" 5 cu ft
20 18 "" 17 cu ft

Note that I would tweak this plan to stay at 70 feet for 3 minutes and I would add running 1 minute stops between 70 and 40 feet, but this is an excellent example of the power of a deco gas above 130 feet.