Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pearl Lake, north of Rockford?
12-24-2009, 12:20 PM,
Pearl Lake, north of Rockford?
Anyone have information of this lake?  The wife and I want to go somewhere different this summer and I was thinking of Pearl Lake.  Never dove it before but it looks good.
12-24-2009, 03:34 PM,
Re: Pearl Lake, north of Rockford?
It can be a fun place to hang out for the day. Visibility varies and isn't worth the trip if it's bad. I don't know your location, but a better place to go may be Haigh Quarry in Kankakee. There are many things to see there, and if you're lucky you may get to see the big paddle fish they have there. I prefer Haigh myself.
12-24-2009, 04:45 PM,

We live in Dodge county near Beaver Dam.  We are new to diving and have only dove Wazee Lake.  We are just looking to try something different, dont want to drive really far.  I saw a web page for Pearl lake and it looked pretty interesting.  Does Haigh Quarry have a scuba shop near, we do not have our own tanks.
12-24-2009, 09:07 PM,

We live in Dodge county near Beaver Dam.  We are new to diving and have only dove Wazee Lake.  We are just looking to try something different, dont want to drive really far.  I saw a web page for Pearl lake and it looked pretty interesting.  Does Haigh Quarry have a scuba shop near, we do not have our own tanks.
[/quote]
From your location Preal would be much closer, Just down I90 Haigh is well soyth of Chicago, Haigh has on site rental and fill station. I heard  Pearl quite gear rental, but Loves Park Scuba is close.
12-30-2009, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM by ScubaDo.)
There's no dive shop close to Pearl, but they do provide airfills.  It's best to go to Pearl during the week, the students and swimmers stir it up on the weekends.  You'll also want to dive Devil's Lake which is pretty close to you.  The fish there are diver friendly, the smallmouth bass follow you around like puppy dogs. Nice rock walls and nice weed beds to cruze over.  Three Little Devil's dive shop is near park entrance for rental gear and air.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
12-30-2009, 10:39 AM,
...at 3 Little Devils - talk with Joel or John......
12-30-2009, 12:19 PM,
Devils lake is a great newby spot, lots to see and you might only get 20 ft or so. I really love diving D.L. for the rock formations and the fish. The guys at 3 lil devils shop are great people and are always willing to offer advise about the lake. I live near DeKalb IL and I will go past pearl to get to D.L. in the high tide of the diving season due to the students in pearl. I understand we all need to learn somewhere, but it makes enjoying the dive much better when you can see your buddy. Pearl has many things to see at different depths, but most of it is in the area of 15 to 30 ft and very save to climb on and look at. if you can take the cold, IMHO early is better with pearl. Last spring we had 35 to 40 ft vis. mid summer 15 is good. the only shops I am aware of in the pearl lake area are in rockford, Loves park and Forrest city. Have delt with both but personally use Forest City. Rockford is about a half hour south from pearl. Pearl is right on the IL WI border. Hope this helps.
James
12-31-2009, 11:29 AM,
Thanks for all of the helpfull information.  Not sure where we will go, it will probably be either Pear lake or Devils lake.  Will decide closer to summer.