Remember me
Lost Password Register

Monona Terrace
12-01-2009, 04:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM by Tamara Thomsen.)
Monona Terrace
I took advantage of what looks like the last nice day for awhile and went for a dive this morning in Lake Monona in Madison.  Vis was about 20- 30 foot and the water temp. was still holding at 49 degrees.  Took a rebreather student with me and man did we have a fantastic dive!!!  I couldn't believe the sheer number of fish!  WOW did we see the northerns, walleyes, muskie and even a couple of sturgeon (not to mention the crappies, and bass, and other pan fish)- more quantities than I have seen on one dive in a very long time!  It was literally like diving in an aquarium - there were that many fish!  Steve (my buddy) was initially complaining about how much he hated diving in the Madison lakes and much preferred his home turf of Sturgeon Bay...then he got out from our 2 hour dive at the Terrace and he was singing the praises of my choice in dive sites today. 

If anyone still has a dive left in them for the season, I would highly suggest checking out Monona Terrace in the next couple of weeks!

Some photos:
12-01-2009, 08:40 PM,
Re: Monona Terrace
I have dove Monona Terrace under these kind of conditions a few years ago.  I could not believe the number and variety of fish.  Did not see a sturgeon but did see buffalo.  With 20-30 feet of visibility, this would be a great dive.

Tammy, thanks for sharing, now I have to find a time to dive Monona soon.

Doug
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM,
How many musky lures did you find?  I saw the bulldog lure.  I might have to dive that so I can add some lures to my tackle box.  Smile
12-02-2009, 01:01 PM,

Actually, I saw a couple of musky lures!  But, mostly a bunch of Rapala's and tackle for small fish, an entire tackle box, and several rod/reels- even a nice new Ugly Stick.  We left everything down there - might still be there. A couple of the divers from the shop went out yesterday night, I don't know if they grabbed anything- probably not.  The only thing we took was a crystal glass that some drunk must have thrown in after a convention or wedding and the card from the CoolPix camera.  There were some interesting sorority party photos on there and after showing the pics to one of our shop instructor/who doubles as a high school teacher in Middleton, he claimed to recognize one of the girls (from his class a few years back), took the card and promised to get it back to her.....suuuuuuuure. Wink
12-03-2009, 09:17 PM,
Just a note- If anyone is going to come down to Madison to dive on Saturday, we are also having the Grand Opening Party at Diversions.  I think that Kim posted about it in the Shop Events here.  Plan on stopping by to meet a bunch of the local divers and to try out our new hot tub!!!  Should be perfect after being out in the blustery weather!
12-05-2009, 09:16 AM,

Actually, I saw a couple of musky lures!  But, mostly a bunch of Rapala's and tackle for small fish, an entire tackle box, and several rod/reels- even a nice new Ugly Stick.  We left everything down there - might still be there. A couple of the divers from the shop went out yesterday night, I don't know if they grabbed anything- probably not.  The only thing we took was a crystal glass that some drunk must have thrown in after a convention or wedding and the card from the CoolPix camera.  There were some interesting sorority party photos on there and after showing the pics to one of our shop instructor/who doubles as a high school teacher in Middleton, he claimed to recognize one of the girls (from his class a few years back), took the card and promised to get it back to her.....suuuuuuuure. Wink
[/quote]

You're putting this information into the wrong hands... Wink

Fred