Remember me
Lost Password Register

Side Scan Sonar
11-09-2009, 11:31 AM,
Side Scan Sonar
I have been looking into getting a side scan sonar. For the most part I would like to be able to find new dive spots and am interested in shallow water - 13 or less. Is anyone familiar with the Hummingbird model or anything that is in the same price range? I have recently looked into a Starfish as well. Looks like a better model however I do not know allot about them. Definitely looking for something a beginner can use. I would be interested in a used sonar if anyone has one. Renting one might be an option. Planning on working with one next year since my boat is put away for the year. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
11-09-2009, 04:18 PM,
Re: Side Scan Sonar
I own a Hummingbird 1197 and some of my friends own the 997.  Both are great units and are pretty straight forward to use.  I've done scans of the pier crib at Harrington that are pretty amazing.  I've also done scans of the schooner Northerner that you can not only pick out the holds, but the railings as well.
      The side scan is really nice, but the 2D sonar kicks butt.  Low profile stuff like the Island City and the Byron are easy to mark.
      Google Hummingbird sonar.  There is a board called the unoffical Hummingbird site or something close which you'll want to study.  There's even a thread on making your own towfish.  Of course if your just doing shallows you won't need one.
11-09-2009, 09:09 PM,
I own the 797c-SI.  I wished I spent the money for the better ones but that was all I was able to spend riggin the N2Deep.  It has plenty of power to scan  to the 150' mark, but all pends on you speed and water conditions.  Smoother it is, better the image.
I side Image the Willie last year and I actually shown the cable that attach the crane/or crows nest attached to the bow.  It isn't that bad.  But like mentioned earlier, max depth is only 150'.  It will scan out to 360' total.

I attached some images of the WL Brown off Peshtigo Point That I images last August.  I think it was worth the money.  the Sonar and the GPS function are incredible too.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   brown stern.jpg (Size: 57.26 KB / Downloads: 118)
.jpg   Brown Bow.jpg (Size: 54.54 KB / Downloads: 105)
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM,
Lowrance now has an add-on unit 
for their HDS heads. Looks pretty impressive! Course if you don't have an HDS unit and have to buy that also it could get a bit expensive.
11-12-2009, 06:29 AM,
All of that technology just to find fish?! And you thought that divers were obsessed with their sport!

I wonder how it does at 200' or so?

Dennis
Dennis
11-12-2009, 08:47 AM,
I was wondering about that too.  I have been checking it all out to find out the tranducer mounting configurations and depth capacity of the sonar.
I want to go that way since Radar is an option on the HDS.  It isn't a option of the hummingbird.

I may upgrade if someone is interested in my old unit.  The bad thing is the card that I have saved my coordance on isn't capatable with lowrance.
11-13-2009, 10:09 AM,
Has the Lowrance been released yet?  They seem to keep putting that off for some reason.
11-13-2009, 10:32 AM,
Yes.  Cabelas 599.99.  You must have one of thier HDS unit for this to be compatable..
11-13-2009, 04:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM by Gary.)
Fish??? What fish.... You know me better than that. No fish crap on my boat! I talked to a guy at Lowrance and he says it should have no problem doing side scans at 200 plus. Hmmmmmm!

Gary