Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Metonga
03-01-2004, 08:47 AM,
Lake Metonga
We got out to enjoy the nice weather this weekend as well. A bunch of us from the area spent the weekend in Goodman, WI at a friends cabin. While we were up there we got to dive Lake Metonga, near Crandon.

It's well over 2000 acres in size - the topo maps we had of it showed a max depth of 79'.

We dove the North Shore of the lake. It was actually kind of tricky to dive the lake - there were roads plowed out on the lake, and there was no way we were going to be able to drive off of the roads. We ended up driving down a small side "road" and walking off the path a little bit. There was at least two feet of ice on the lake, and a LOT of thick, wet snow.

Water temps were in the mid 30's, and we had visibility of at least 50'. Zebra mussels have infested the lake, so the viz is extremely good. Saw a few crayfish, bullhead, perch and walleye. Found some golf balls and one of our group found an anchor.

The bottom structure near shore was very fun - lots of big boulders, rocky bottom, logs here and there - it was a very fun dive. I dove mainly underneath the plowed "road" on the ice - it was like a natural lit path underneat the ice - very cool. Also got pretty close to shore for awhile - I like being able to see the ice and the lake bottom at the same time - gives you a neat feeling of being really under the ice.

I'd definitely like to do this lake again - it was great visibility and fun things to see - definitely would like to explore it more.

As a bonus, it's only a few miles away from Lake Lucerne which is also another great lake to dive.
03-01-2004, 07:31 PM,
Re:Lake Metonga
Jason,

Sounds like a great dive. Wish I could have joined you guys, but travel did not allow it.

This would be fun to do in the summer. A lot of neat lakes in that area that I would like to dive.

We did Red Granite on Sunday, will post some pictures soon.

I believe that Wazee Sport is going to have a ice dive on Saturday, March 6. Anybody know if this is still on?

Doug
03-01-2004, 11:03 PM,
That is really an awesome ice dive but I think I'm going to head to Milwaukee for the Ghost Ships Festival. I know that talking about diving is no where near as fun as diving itself but this "wreck fest" is definitely worth the trip. ;D

Todd
03-02-2004, 06:34 AM,
Wazee Ice dive is still on as of early this week. Hope to see some of you folks there again.

Andy
03-02-2004, 08:23 AM,
Hrm. I may have to do that this weekend...