Remember me
Lost Password Register

No buoy on Appomatox?
08-24-2009, 07:34 AM,
No buoy on Appomatox?
I went looking for the Appomatox a couple weeks ago, but didn't find anything. 
Who usually puts the buoy on the shipwreck?
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM,
Re: No buoy on Appomatox?
The State shipwreck buoys are put in and taken out by volunteers.  Our volunteer for that particular buoy tried on 2 occasions to get the buoy in earlier this summer, but was unsuccessful due to weather- after that, his schedule got busy. 

It looks like he will be unable to help out with maintenance of the Appomattox buoy in the future so if there is anyone out there that dives the Appomattox regularly and is interested in taking responsibility for installation and removal of her buoy, please contact me by PM or email my work address - tamara.thomsen@wisconsinhistory.org

We are also looking for anyone interested in taking responsibility for the Kate Kelly buoy and/or for the Lumberman buoy for the 2010 season.
09-21-2009, 07:06 PM,
Hi Tamara,
I would be more than willing and  some members of our  dive group would to hang the Appomatox mooring next year send me contact info,
All so now that  I have sold my place in Door County and this will be my last year doing the Carrington unless some of our group will pick it up,I will pass the mooring to Capt.Cathy or Jon Paul In Sturgeon Bay for storage this winter after I pull it soon,
These moorings are such a valuable asset to the diving community and make hook ups to wreck sites so safe and easy,I personally have dove every Maritime trails with a buoy and enjoyed there placement and feel putting a mooring out and retrieving in fall is the least I can do!
Brad
09-22-2009, 06:10 AM,
Brad, Let me know when you pull the buoy on the Carrington. I'd like to head up there with you if you have room. Maybe we can dive the Jenny Belle again. Also, I’d be happy to help out with the Appomatox buoy if you take that on.

Fred
09-22-2009, 07:02 AM,
Tammy,

I could bouy the Carrington.  I have the coordinates and dove it many times.  My boats in located in Menominee, MI and I have the access to that area.  Personnally, I never dove the Merridian, nor do I have good coordinate.  I don't think that got bouyed, well as far as I know.  I could help with that one.

But, the remander of this season I'm done with the boat.  Long tragic story.....
09-22-2009, 01:19 PM,
Hey
Thanks on the Carrington, will get the mooring off for the season and make sure you have it in spring, will need a link and a few extra feet of chain with the lake up but I will make sure you have it,
Thanks
Brad
09-22-2009, 04:59 PM,
Guys-  Just make sure that Cathy Embrose or Bob LaViolette knows what's going on with the Carrington.  They have been our office's contact for the last many years no matter who is putting out/taking in the buoy.  Keith and I usually coordinate with them to get the needed accessories up to Door Co. over the winter to outfit the buoys for the next spring- if they can get a master list for what is needed, chain, shackles, etc., it makes the process easier.

Thanks!

As far as the Appomattox, Kelly and Lumberman.  Bob Jaeck is going to look after the Appomattox for next year.  John Welp is looking after the Kelly and Lumberman.  John is new to working with the buoys so I imagine that any help will be appreciated especially from seasoned veterans like you all.  I can get you his contact information- let me know.
09-23-2009, 11:18 AM,

Yo Brad, I believe we've got some chain laying about on the boat, and probably a link as well.
Dave Job, Port Washington WI