Remember me
Lost Password Register

Equipment Storage
07-22-2009, 09:32 AM,
Equipment Storage
OK, here's another one to get some opinions on ...

My wife and I live in a one bedroom apartment (read limited storage). I've got my full kit that really has no place to go. We have a storage unit in the underground garage. They claim it's humidity controlled, but I'm not too terribly convinced that it's 100% as controlled as they make it seem. BC, two piece 7mm w/hood and gloves, two masks, snorkel and fins fit in the mesh bag (tightly) and reg is in it's own bag.

It works to store it down there in that configuration, but the BC can't be inflated much, the wetsuit is folded, the fins are most likely not keeping their natural shape, and the regulator probably shouldn't be wound up like it is.

Any suggestions on what I can do? My guess is keeping everything packed up how I have it will not preserve my gear very well, and though I like buying new toys (the wife not so much), I also like saving money.

Tips, comments, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM,
Re: Equipment Storage
Somehow convince your wife that it is art, and hang it in random places around the apartment or dive every day and it never has to be put away.
07-22-2009, 11:16 AM,

I store mine in a large tote with wheels I purchased at Walmart.  It keeps it clean and dry when not in use.
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM,
How about a couple of low profile, under the bed totes?
07-22-2009, 03:49 PM,
Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

I'll try the artistic method before the wife gets home tonight. If that fails, totes will be the answer ... the low-pro ones should do the trick under the bed.

I'd love to dive so much that storage wouldn't be a problem, but diving wet limits my season  Sad

I'm still interested to hear how others store their gear and get other tips and tricks.
07-22-2009, 06:44 PM,
This won't help you, but during the "busy" diving season all my stuff is in the garage. My drysuit, plates, and wings are all hanging on a clothes pole. Tanks are lined up (and labeled with contents) on a rubber mat against the wall, and everything else is stored on a large 5 shelf unit between the tanks, compressor, and gas bottles. In the "off" season everything goes into the basement with pretty much the same set up. In your case I would make sure everything is DRY before you put it away. Wet stuff stinks after a day or 2 and won't help your case any with your wife  ;D.
07-22-2009, 10:25 PM,
Folding suits causes creases that will eventually have less thermal density...Also known as "Cold Spots!"  Try not to do that.  But having it on a hanger, even the oversize "Wetsuit" hangers can still cause compressed areas from the heavy suit pressing on certain areas of the hanger.  Taking a section of a Foam Pool toy... Fun Noodle, and cut that to fit a heavy hanger so that the rounded area of the noodle makes the hanger thicker may help!  Or "Lay it Flat!" 

Or get a drysuit...Those can be rolled up as long as they are Completely dry inside.  ;D

Good Luck!
I love to go down with other divers!
07-23-2009, 08:38 PM,
I am liking the "Fun Noodle" idea, though foam pipe insulation from the hardware store is easier to come by.
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
07-23-2009, 10:13 PM,

The pipe insulation is what I originally used, but if you don't own a home, how would you know what it is?  Wink
I love to go down with other divers!
07-24-2009, 07:31 PM,
Quote:I'd love to dive so much that storage wouldn't be a problem, but diving wet limits my season 

My first year I iced dived in a wetsuit, I know a female diver that still dives wet in the winter.  So bone up, there's no such thing as an off season!  ;D IMO the best diving is in the winter and spring.
Life's Short, Dive Hard