Remember me
Lost Password Register

Accidents/Incidents
07-19-2009, 10:48 AM,
Accidents/Incidents
When fatalities happen, details sometimes are slow to emerge and often times even when details are known, the exact "legal" cause of death is listed as drowning or medically related.  Legal authorities care little of contributing factors and as long as there is no crime committed, the investigation is left to the dive community and/or insurance companies.  I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to add an "Accidents and Incidents" section where members can freely discuss, speculate, dissect and hopefully learn from dives gone wrong and keep it separate from condolences.  It would also be a good place for members to post "close calls" for those willing to swallow their pride.
07-19-2009, 11:11 AM,
Re: Accidents/Incidents
We have had at least 4 RB deaths recently along with the OC accident. I dive a RB and because these are complected pieces of equipment. Would be interested in what these divers did wrong or what equipment malfunction took place. How else can we learn and at least try to be safe. Who knows, there could be some very simple/basic changes we could be making that would make our dives safer.

When ever there is a death the post follow the same format, 1, has anybody heard about a dive accident at XXXX
2. Someone post a link to a new website. 3, People post condolences to the family. 4, Someone posts, not to speculate to what happened and to respect the family and wait till all the information is in. 5 The End.

We almost never hear what took place, I mean how many people can have heart attacks while diving? This information does not have to include the divers name, doesn't even need to have the accidents location. Just cause and effect.

Al 
07-19-2009, 01:30 PM,
We can learn a lot from the incidents that occur, fatal or not.  This is the information that helps advance to sport and keeps people aware of the danger.

I would like to see a section as Todd proposes.

Oh my God, I agreed with Todd.  Prepare for Armageddon.

Doug
07-20-2009, 04:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-20-2009, 04:38 AM by LKunze.)
The board has been added.  I'll try and get old posts moved into the new board when I get a chance.
07-20-2009, 11:46 AM,
Thank you!
07-20-2009, 06:59 PM,
Great!  Thanks!