Remember me
Lost Password Register

Devil's Lake
07-13-2009, 05:38 PM,
Devil's Lake
If you are looking for local diving around Madison, head to Devil's. Temp was about 68 at 25 feet. Viz was probably about 10 feet. We found lots of friendly fish including one with 1/2 black face and all the rest of his body was white.

We were running a buoyancy class, but had plenty of time to watch the fish.

Happy diving! Be safe!
07-13-2009, 09:21 PM,
Re: Devil's Lake
That small mouth bass with the half black face is neat.  The line down the face is straight as an arrow.  Reminds me of an old Star Trek episode with two warring guys:  one with half left face white and the other with half left black face white and they were prejudiced against each other for that.  Guess you have to be an old timer to remember that.

I think I've seen that fish this year on every dive on the east shore of DL.  Sure is friendly.
07-15-2009, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM by ScubaDo.)
You must be talking about this little guy!

Life's Short, Dive Hard
07-15-2009, 08:04 AM,
We were at DL on Sunday also, and saw the same very social black-faced bass. We called it Harvey two-face.  The fish on the N. Shore seem to be extra curious and playful this year.  They swooped in as soon as we moved some small stones, and of course were looking for a snack.

With me was a new OW diver, who really enjoyed the site, with all the bass, blue-gill, and also boulders to swim around.  It was a good day diving. 

It would be fun to see how many times we can go back there and see the same black-faced bass.
07-15-2009, 04:29 PM,
That's the fish! Is this some sort of genetic mishap? He is very friendly though.
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM,
I have seen fish like this in Devils Lake and Lake Wazee.  Very dark on one side and light on the other.  This bilateral coloring seems to be common in small mouth bass.

Doug