Remember me
Lost Password Register

Another Dive Accident in Port Washington
07-21-2009, 08:20 PM,
Re: Another Dive Accident in Port Washington
Wow, this is a sad chain of events.  Agree with Todd, it is not one thing, it is the chain that gets you.

My heart goes out to the family.

Doug
07-24-2009, 07:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2009, 06:59 AM by ScubaDo.)
I deleted what I had mentioned here earlier.  The message pertained to a more recent accident in PW.
Life's Short, Dive Hard
07-24-2009, 08:34 PM,
I do not believe that he got caught in the mooring line because on friday night there was no mooring line and as waterwolf said they were waiting for the charter to hook the wreck, if there was a mooring line they would of used it.
07-25-2009, 07:00 PM,
Here's another related article:

08-03-2009, 06:37 PM,
Yes There was no mooring line it was removed ****, this IMO may of been part of the cause of the incident if he grabbed the float line marker instead of the  (Gerry's tie in line  if any) and it snake coiled as he pulled it down in a panic?
As said in the above post's training,equipment,and buddy and only his buddy knows as we were not down there.and not to knock any training agencies but this online training,online certifications by passing proper instructors as old timer states has really endangered a large group of divers.
  And second not to bash any local or out of town Dive Opp's man they need properly trained and certified DM's in the water to baby sit these newer divers at all times IMO I am sure a properly trained DM in the water may of stopped this from becoming a incident=AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPPINION!
My son  at 10 YO just got his limited C-card to 40FSW and the deepest he will see is the 10'-15' with me on several shallow sites till he has done lots of growing up and more training and observing.
for  a 50 dives recreational diver  maybe in a wet suit,warm water equipment the Northener to me ( IMO) is a non dive at her depth ,, not saying you cant wipe your self out at 50FSW but may have more of a chance? 
08-04-2009, 07:14 AM,
I don't know if oldtimer is an instructor or actually is an oldtimer,  but I believe that the instruction they get in on line training is  just  basic manual training, they still have to go over it with an instructor and still have pool and open water training, that has to be done and as we all should know that is where you actually learn your skills. I don't know what the difference is if you get your class room training in a class or off the internet. I believe its the instructor not the agency is at falt if something is not taught.
08-04-2009, 11:35 AM,
This is not the thread to be debating agency training techniques but since you've mentioned it, oldtimer is not an instructor but he's very knowledgeable and has taught me more about diving than any single instructor ever has.