Remember me
Lost Password Register

Anybody buy something new lately to share reviews?
08-21-2009, 11:10 AM,
Re: Anybody buy something new lately to share reviews?

You will be hard pressed to find a more durable, more competent drysuit fin than the turtles. Keep the splits for the tropics.
--Jason
08-21-2009, 11:54 AM,
I think you are right Jason. I just have to find a time in the near future to test them out.

Just talked to fellow wiscuba member Jeff Berry at the LDS and he recommended drilling a 1/4" hole in the front of each foot pocket to help eliminate hydraulic suction when taking the fin off.

Makes a lot of sense to me, so I'm off now to find my drill.
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM,
I never had any problems back when I used to dive Turtles with Rock boots. I'd wait on drilling the hole to see if there's a problem.
08-21-2009, 04:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM by jasondbaker.)

Hmm... I've done hundreds of dives with these without needing to drill a hole.  I can't ever recall suction being a problem when removing my fins.  YMMV
--Jason
08-21-2009, 07:42 PM,
You will like the Turtles a lot once you get used to them. Great for frog kicking and moving larger profiles (doubles) through the water. I agree with the other guys, Don't punch a hole in them unless there is a problem. I like the fact that when I walk out of the water, my Turtles hold water. Makes it nice for rinsing off your rock boots once you get back to the car after walking thru the sand & gravel.
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
08-21-2009, 07:47 PM,
OK, you all talked me into waiting to see if I really need to drill the holes.

Thanks for the feedback!
08-22-2009, 02:16 PM,
I own the OMS type of turtle fins, and they have the holes in them already near the toe on the underside of the fin. I also had a set of JET FINS that did not have the holes. I do not remember any issue with them being stuck to the foot, but the jet fins would hold water untill you emptied them if you took em off in the water.
08-22-2009, 03:45 PM,
Hmmmm, I had never heard the idea of drilling out the fin pocket to prevent suction.

Ethan talked me into drilling holes into the fin pockets of my Jet Fins- but for an entirely different reason.  We do a lot of rope work to get in and out dive sites in Mexico.  Lifting a set of fins 75 ft in the air filled with water collected in the pockets was simply getting tiring day after day- so we drilled several holes for drains.  After about 5 years, the holes have not seemed to affect the integrity of the fin or their performance underwater.
08-22-2009, 07:47 PM,
I didn't much care for them holding water either.  Made getting them off seem a bit easier too.
  Happy late Birthday Tami! :o 8) :o 8) :o Smile
08-22-2009, 07:59 PM,
I finally got to try out my new ScubaPro Twin Jet Max fins.  Big enough for my drysuit boots.  Already open at the toe to let out water.  Lifetime warranty on the fins and built in Spring Straps so I will never have to worry about that loop breaking off the back of the springs again!  Wink  ;D
I love to go down with other divers!