Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving accident
06-27-2009, 02:42 PM,
Re: Diving accident
Nobody on this site has speculated about anything. Curiosity is human nature. BTW, it's not up to  the family to release the information. It is a matter of public record, and will be released in due time by the proper authorities.
06-27-2009, 05:43 PM,

Identity of scuba diver who drowned in Lake Michigan released

By Ben Poston of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jun. 27, 2009 5:28 p.m.

The Ozaukee County Sheriff's Department has released the identity of a scuba diver who died while diving in Lake Michigan on Thursday.

Phil J. Patz, 48, of Stone Park, Ill., was pronounced dead Thursday evening by the Ozaukee County Coroner. His body was recovered from Lake Michigan on Thursday about nine miles southeast of Port Washington harbor, according to the Sheriff's Department.

According to a news release from the department, sheriff's detectives and the U.S. Coast Guard responded to a report that a diver had died in water about 300 feet deep. His body was recovered by the three friends he was diving with because no local agency has divers who could go to that depth.

No additional information regarding the manner of death or any investigation finding were released Saturday, according to the release.
06-27-2009, 08:44 PM,
My condolenses to the family, friends, and colleagues.  I hope, when all the correct details come out of this tragedy, that the entire dive community can learn from what happened so it doesn't happen again.  Lets be patient and not speculate.  The dive community is a family, lets respect family!
06-27-2009, 09:24 PM,
Phil will be greatly missed, and I send my deepest condolences to family and friends.  I will miss his great sense of humor, his unmistakable laugh, and his great skill in diving.  Very sad loss

Ron Benson
06-28-2009, 06:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-28-2009, 06:32 AM by moneysavr.)
Well it will be interesting to follow this incident on the DS and other Rebreather forums,
My condolences t o all friends and family,
Last OT I think means no charter out of Portwashinton is running Technical divers out to those range depths due to boat configurations,and insurance,and re  entry to boat
and set up for CC ,I could be wrong and sure Ralph will let me know- It seems with the great saftey records the greater Milwaukee  area dive charters have that do this type of charters ,
Brad
06-28-2009, 09:39 AM,
If "local" means Port Washington, then it's true, there are no charters that will take you to where they were diving.  At least, to the best of my knowledge. 
But if "local" also includes the Milwaukee area charters, there are charters that will take you to wrecks such as the Tennie & Laura.
Divers' Delight Scuba Charter
06-28-2009, 08:54 PM,
He was diving the Tennie & Laura.
--Jason