Remember me
Lost Password Register

A little help for a CA diver...
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM,
A little help for a CA diver...
First off seems like you guys have a really cool site.  I live in California and have been diving for about eight years with a rescue certification.  I do a lot of local diving in So Cal and my wife and I usually do two major trips a year.  My wife is pregnant so that killed our dive trip to Indonesia so instead we are going to be visiting family in Sheboygan in July.  Which leads to my questions about diving in the area.

I am looking to do a day or two of diving within a two hour driving range of Sheboygan.  I would like to do some wreck diving or anything else that would be interesting.  Can someone give me some dive sites to consider and also dive shops/operators for the area. 

Second question is about water temp.  In Winter our waters hit the low fifties and I am OK with a 7mm suit.  What type of water temps would I be looking at in Lake Michigan in the month of July.  Thanks for any info you guys can provide. 

Scott
06-01-2009, 06:26 PM,
Re: A little help for a CA diver...
Welcome to the board.  There are some great wrecks available for you to dive.  The Selah Chamberlain and the Hetty Taylor are two off Sheboygan in 80ish and about 100ft of water respectively.  A bit further north, in Two Rivers, the Baldwin is in about 70ft of water and there is a crane and front end loader 120ft.

South of Sheboygan there are many wrecks including the Prins Willem V,  The Dredge No 6, The Niagara, Milwaukee, and I'm sure there are more.

Check out

Water temperatures can very greatly with weather conditions, but you should be fine in your 7mm suit.  Expect temps in the low to mid 40s below the thermocline.  However, I have been in 100+ ft of water and had it be 64 top to bottom.

06-01-2009, 08:55 PM,
If you go further north into Door County, there are a number of shore dives that are described by Green Bay Scuba.  See

Doug
06-02-2009, 06:25 AM,
I would suggest Divers Delight I've been diving with then and they do a lot of wreck charters and are located within a hour of sheboygan and actualy go out of Sheboygan at times check out there web site
06-13-2009, 06:16 AM,
Scott,
We have some world class diving out here,visibility as said can be almost Caribbean!but water temps on any sites that are more or less intact deeper dives in the 40's if you have a full suit 7mm-gloves & boots its do able, as said DD runs out of Sheboygan/Portwashington and now has a shop in Portwashington open,a local shop mid way has rentals,tanks equipment could even set you up with a dry suit and get you trained in a pool same day call Steve,, at=

good luck man you have great marine life out your way we have the wrecks here!
Brad
06-13-2009, 01:54 PM,
I would also recommend Divers Delight charter. Great crew, and a fast boat to get you to your dive destination.
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM,
If you do get into Door County, give me a call if you need air or a charter, or just for advice!
Kathy
Dive Diva Charters, Door County WI
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM,
Thanks everyone for the replies and responses.  Unfortunaely as of right now I am not having much luck with finding a dive operator that is diving while I am there.  I can dive from Sunday the 12th thru friday the 17th so if anyone has any other sugestions than the ones listed here I would really appreciate it.  Or if anyone else is interested in diving those days maybe we can get enough people for a boat to get out. 

Scott
07-07-2009, 07:02 AM,
Aquatic Adventures has a second afternoon boat on Sunday the 12th and will do an evening 1 tank on the 13th.  Give em a call.